L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

The Standard Zoom Conundrum

It's not that I want to... but have to. But it paid off for me. Now 3+ months off diabetic medicine because of changing my life style (work-out and food). Got a very very hard wake-up call in December. Took me 3.5 months to get it under control. But feel healthier now then I have felt in a long time. Many thanks to my colleague who acted for/to me as a personal trainer, together in the gym a 6:30am before work at 8:00am. One of the benefits when working in a military base... free gym (i'm not a soldier).
That's fair, and I apologize for casting shade.

What gets me really annoyed are posts praising large heavy gear, and implying (or outright saying) that it's somehow a sign of virtue and people wanting small, light gear are somehow not Real Photographers. That post hit a little too close to the mark for me. Again, my apologies.

That's fair, and I apologize for casting shade.

What gets me really annoyed are posts praising large heavy gear, and implying (or outright saying) that it's somehow a sign of virtue and people wanting small, light gear are somehow not Real Photographers. That post hit a little too close to the mark for me. Again, my apologies.
Yeah, I spent near 2 years in the gym, 3 nights a week after getting run over on my bike, breaking my hip, and bulged discs in my back. I can handle the weight just fine (I work mostly on the shop floor in the metal fabrication industry) but I can't carry it on one shoulder. Took me a while to figure out exactly what was causing the pain, switching from a shoulder bag to backpack has pretty much got me right where I can carry whatever I damn well please
Even my m4/3 gear was setting my back off.
And a good computer chair. Buy the best you can afford. I could handle walking around all day, half an hour after sitting down, I was in agony.
By the way, I'm in no way trying to tell you how to manage your condition. Haven't the faintest clue what it actually is. But yeah, the gym is not a magic bullet for everything

By the way, I'm in no way trying to tell you how to manage your condition. Haven't the faintest clue what it actually is. But yeah, the gym is not a magic bullet for everything
Short version: Myasthenia Gravis causes muscle weakness. Longer version: It's an autoimmune disease where your body's immune system starts attacking the neuromuscular system, with antibodies blocking and often damaging the neurotransmitter receptors in your muscles. The two basic treatments are boosting your neurotransmitters, and damping your immune system through various methods. It's a progressive disease, with most patients growing steadily weaker over a period of years. I was first diagnosed about 7 years ago, had one really bad flareup a year and a half ago, but am currently in remission.

Worst part for me is weakness around my left eye - problems with tracking and double vision, trouble keeping the eyelid closed when shooting, that sort of thing. But I'm also having more trouble getting up and hefting things around.

I replied @Nevyn72, which I met in person to buy the 24-105 from, and he actually knew why I was doing gym. So I knew I could make that remark to him. Never crossed my mind that it actually might hurt anyone, and for that I apologise.

That’s certainly impressive! I think I’m 95% sold on the 24-105. Since I don’t really think there’s a tele zoom that 100% meets what I’m looking for yet, so that should round me for L mount for the minute!
Personally I like the rendering and bokeh of the 24-105 better. It is sharp enough wide open and works perfect with higher resolution bodies.

The 28-200 works oké on 24mp but I have my doubts on higher resolution sensors. For filming it will always be oké. That is also the intended use for @Nevyn72.

Most of the time 105 is enough for me. 28-70 is not. 18-55 at Fuji was also too short, (27-47 in FF terms). 16-80 was nice. Which I had in m43 as well PanaLeica 12-60.

switching from a shoulder bag to backpack has pretty much got me right
My shoulders and back have been hurting for a long time so I decided to buy a photo hip bag. In this case it is obviously better that the weight of the gear falls on the hips:

EVOC HIP PACK CAPTURE 6L

502502100-HIP-PACK-CAPTURE-7-dt00_800x800.jpg

502502100-HIP-PACK-CAPTURE-7-dt02_800x800.jpg

502502100-HIP-PACK-CAPTURE-7-dt10_800x800.jpg

The S1R fits in there with one lens plus another extra lens. By the way, it is a bag that mountain bikers often use.

Edit: I know it's not the topic of this thread, but I couldn't help it Z04 Pc5

I replied @Nevyn72, which I met in person to buy the 24-105 from, and he actually knew why I was doing gym. So I knew I could make that remark to him. Never crossed my mind that it actually might hurt anyone, and for that I apologise.
I find it actually impressive what @RuleOfThirds did, but unfortunately it doesn't work for everybody as well as how it does for him, i which it would, including for myself.
But the truth is also: many camera lovers are 50+ and might prefer the lighter gear, myself included.
I loved the 24-105, but it got hardly any use so i'm happy it found a good new owner with @RuleOfThirds

For my purposes, the 28-200 is excellent for most of my outdoor use, and my other lenses are very suitable for the other uses.

My shoulders and back have been hurting for a long time so I decided to buy a photo hip bag. In this case it is obviously better that the weight of the gear falls on the hips:

EVOC HIP PACK CAPTURE 6L

View attachment 5925

View attachment 5927

View attachment 5926

The S1R fits in there with one lens plus another extra lens. By the way, it is a bag that mountain bikers often use.

Edit: I know it's not the topic of this thread, but I couldn't help it Z04 Pc5
I’ve actually got one of these! They’re excellent and I highly recommend them. I still prefer a Mindshift Rotation pack, but these are great too.

I find it actually impressive what @RuleOfThirds did, but unfortunately it doesn't work for everybody as well as how it does for him, i which it would, including for myself.
But the truth is also: many camera lovers are 50+ and might prefer the lighter gear, myself included.
I loved the 24-105, but it got hardly any use so i'm happy it found a good new owner with @RuleOfThirds

For my purposes, the 28-200 is excellent for most of my outdoor use, and my other lenses are very suitable for the other uses.
There’s definitely a lens out there for everyone! It’d be boring if there was just one lens for everyone for each use type. That’s what makes this interesting!

Very happy with the 24-105 so far! That is some impressive bokeh for a zoom. Much better than the 14-28, though that isn’t a fair comparison. It is a beast of a lens, but it’s manageable!

I took a stroll through my folks’ garden on a visit yesterday and snapped these. I appreciate the help!

Back