L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Share your photos with legacy lenses

Jonathan-Mac

I have long enjoyed using old, manual film-era lenses on digital cameras and one of the main reasons for changing to FF mirrorless was to be able to use my collection of old lenses with their originally-intended field of view and focus them easily. I know there must be many like-minded people out there shooting manual on their L-mount cameras.

Let's define "legacy lenses" as those developed for film and which are manual focus only. I know there's an adapter thread but it seems to be for those using adapters which allow full functionality of automatic lenses (such as EF) on their L-mount cameras.

I'll start things off with a few favourites shot on my S5.

Pentax SMC 28mm f/2

Boxhead
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Stopped at the fence

Pentax SMC M 50mm f/1.4

Market bar

Urban wheat

Pentax Takumar 105mm f/2.8

Green

Pentax SMC 135mm f/2.5

Angel

Vivitar (Tokina) 17mm f/3.5

Smoke in the crystal palace

Tamron Adaptall-2 01B 24mm f/2.5

Boatman

I have long enjoyed using old, manual film-era lenses on digital cameras and one of the main reasons for changing to FF mirrorless was to be able to use my collection of old lenses with their originally-intended field of view and focus them easily. I know there must be many like-minded people out there shooting manual on their L-mount cameras.

Let's define "legacy lenses" as those developed for film and which are manual focus only. I know there's an adapter thread but it seems to be for those using adapters which allow full functionality of automatic lenses (such as EF) on their L-mount cameras.

Hi Jonathan.

I really like your images, thanks for posting. As someone who only uses native Lumix lenses, can you explain how these MF lenses are mounted? Do you need a different type of adapter for each brand? And when they are on the camera, do you have to manually set anything in the menus or do you just click away?

Hi Peter. Each type of lens requires a specific adaptor, with the mount of the lens at one end (Pentax K, Nikon F etc) to attach the lens and an L-mount at the other, to attach to the camera. K&F Conecpt is my preferred brand - they're good quality and reasonably priced. The adpaters are essentially empty tubes to fill up the space that, on their native mounts, would have been occupied by the mirror box of an SLR, to get the lens the right distance from the sensor.

Once mounted, when you switch on the camera (at least on the S5) it will request you input the focal length, which is to allow the shake reduction to work properly. Unfortunately the focal length isn't recorded in the EXIF of the photos to help you identify the lens that was used.

To shoot, set the aperture on the lens and use the EVF/screen to focus. You will benefit from setting up the manual focus tools in the camera (focus peaking and magnification for example) to help in precise focus, that will depend on the camera. The easiest way to shoot is to use Av mode, with the camera setting the shutter speed and ISO based on the aperture you've set and the available light. You could shoot fully manual exposure if you too, of course. The only limitation is that the camera cannot set the aperture because there's no mechanical connection to do that.

I can currently adapt Pentax K, M42, Nikon F, Minolta SR and Konica AR mount lenses to my S5.

Hi Peter. Each type of lens requires a specific adaptor, with the mount of the lens at one end (Pentax K, Nikon F etc) to attach the lens and an L-mount at the other, to attach to the camera. K&F Conecpt is my preferred brand - they're good quality and reasonably priced. The adpaters are essentially empty tubes to fill up the space that, on their native mounts, would have been occupied by the mirror box of an SLR, to get the lens the right distance from the sensor.

Once mounted, when you switch on the camera (at least on the S5) it will request you input the focal length, which is to allow the shake reduction to work properly. Unfortunately the focal length isn't recorded in the EXIF of the photos to help you identify the lens that was used.

To shoot, set the aperture on the lens and use the EVF/screen to focus. You will benefit from setting up the manual focus tools in the camera (focus peaking and magnification for example) to help in precise focus, that will depend on the camera. The easiest way to shoot is to use Av mode, with the camera setting the shutter speed and ISO based on the aperture you've set and the available light. You could shoot fully manual exposure if you too, of course. The only limitation is that the camera cannot set the aperture because there's no mechanical connection to do that.

I can currently adapt Pentax K, M42, Nikon F, Minolta SR and Konica AR mount lenses to my S5.

Thanks Jonathan! That's helpful to know. And are these manual lenses difficult to find these days, and expensive?

I have Minolta XG-M and SRT101 film cameras. I got a fotasy SR to L mount adapter so I could test the old film SLR lenses were working before spending money on film and development. Below are some test shots with the Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm f3.5, I edited the files to try an give them an old film look.

523569E2-8FA8-4E7B-A6CE-DC9BF7057572.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

FF58106B-4B40-4C7D-93B6-82790B3B1FD1.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 1/1600 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

9685F89F-8C65-4B01-8B5A-2F2123310FFE.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 1/640 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

Thanks Jonathan! That's helpful to know. And are these manual lenses difficult to find these days, and expensive?
Manual lenses are certainly not difficult to find, after all, they were the only lenses around for decades. As for price, that can vary wildly as a function of rarity more than anything else. The humble Pentax M 50mm f/1.7 is a superb lens and yet can be easily found for €40 in very good condition. Other lenses may cost ten or twenty times that despite their age, simply because they're rare. It is quite a rabbit-hole though and I have accumulated dozens of such lenses but I enjoy using them and seeing where they differ.

L1000900.jpeg
  • LEICA CAMERA AG - LEICA SL2-S
  • Tele-Elmar 1:4/135
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

a fibreglass madonna who has moved house with us twice hiding behind bushes at the back of the garden
lens is a 135mm tele elmar using a 'knock off' m to l adaptor

L1000906.jpeg
  • LEICA CAMERA AG - LEICA SL2-S
  • Summicron-M 1:2/35
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100
a green hellebore
a problem with old lenses is inability to focus relatively closely
40mm summicron from CL using a 'close up' m to l adaptor from 7 artisans

I think this has been changed in S5II. You can store several lenses with their name and focal length. When switching on, you can choose the used lens from the stored ones and the model (name) of the lens among its focal length is stored in the EXIF data when you shoot. So all the data except the used aperture value is available.

First time using my "Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Auto Telephoto Close Focusing" on the S5. Quite an incredible lens made by Komine. Good for distances, but then extends a great deal to become a 1:2 macro. My lens is K-mount but also available in M42. Dates approximately from 1975 to 1981.

First two are SOOC with only usual developing... no filters.

treetops 1

53024304851_886a8e1725_c.jpg

treetops 2
53023731612_faed278a29_c.jpg

grain
53023731637_88da860603_c.jpg

A few I like adapted...

Lumix S5, Tamron 80-200 (03A):
20230516-P1011347.jpg
  • NO-LENS
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 1250

Sigma fp, Olympus OM Zuiko 24/2.8:
20220509-SDIM0304.jpg
  • Zuiko 24/2.8
  • 24.0 mm
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 2000

Sigma fp, OM Zuiko 50/2 Macro:
20220527-SDIM0891.jpg
  • Zuiko 50/2 Macro
  • 50.0 mm
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 500

Sigma fp, OM Zuiko 24/2.8:
20220626-SDIM1289 sm.jpeg
  • SIGMA - SIGMA fp
  • Zuiko 24/2.8
  • 24.0 mm
  • 1/400 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Lumix S5, Minolta MD 24-50:
20210905-P1104660v1.rw2 sm.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • MD 24-50/4
  • 1/400 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Lumix S5, Kiron 75-150/4:
20230328-P1000866 sm.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • NO-LENS
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Sigma fp, Vivitar (Kiron) 28/2.5:
20230226-SDIM3798 sm.jpeg
  • SIGMA - SIGMA fp
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 1250

S5 with my Mamiya Sekor C 150 mm 1:3,5, shot at f11. Nice lens on the S5, but it has to get stopped down a bit. Vignette added in post.

Btw, the only adaptor I could find is a Kipon, which is beautifully built - but costs new almost as much as the used lens in a decent condition ...

P1004164.jpg

P1004191.jpg
P1004206.jpg
P1004853-Bearbeitet.jpg

Back