L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** September 2026 Image & Video Thread ***

Another image from Yorkshire. S1Rii with 20-200.


More of God's Country by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
Love this one! I’ve been feeling inadequate to post anything I’ve done this month. ^^;;

I wish I knew why some Flickr embeds are showing up as broken images over the last couple of weeks; I have to click through to see them. ;_;
 
I wish I knew why some Flickr embeds are showing up as broken images over the last couple of weeks; I have to click through to see them. ;_;
I don't know why I don't ditch Flickr. It's just steadily getting worse and more expensive.
 
I wish I knew why some Flickr embeds are showing up as broken images over the last couple of weeks; I have to click through to see them. ;_;
Flickr BBCODE sequences include a link to the JPG hosted on Flickr's "static" content server. For example, this BBCODE extract:

1789682776513.png


Contains the URL below which is the JPG on "staticflickr.com":

1789682837410.png


Pasting this URL in to my browser directly, I sometimes get HTTP 429 errors.

Google AI has this to say about it:

An HTTP 429 "Too Many Requests" error means Flickr’s edge firewall (AWS CloudFront) has flagged your network IP or the forum's hotlinking requests as a scraping/bot threat and temporarily banned it.
When a forum thread loads, the software attempts to download all the BBCODE live.staticflickr.com image assets simultaneously. If a thread has dozens of high-res image links, Flickr interprets this sudden burst of image requests from your IP address as a malicious hotlinking or Denial of Service (DoS) attack, triggering a hard block.

## Why pasting it directly still fails
Once your network IP is flagged by the 429 filter, all direct traffic to staticflickr.com is locked out for a cooldown period (usually 15 minutes to an hour). Even pasting a single URL will continue to serve a 429 until the block expires.


## How to bypass the 429 block right now
* Switch Your Network (Clear the IP block): The fastest workaround is to force a new IP address. Disconnect your device from your Wi-Fi and use cellular data, or activate a VPN service. If you paste the URL using a fresh IP, it should load instantly. [4]
* Change Your User-Agent: Flickr’s anti-bot protection aggressively targets certain browser configurations. Users on community forums have found that using a browser extension like User-Agent Switcher to spoof your browser as standard Google Chrome completely bypasses the static link block. [5]
* Strip Down the Target URL: Check the URL structure you are pasting. If the BBCODE generated links containing a _d suffix (e.g., _d.jpg or _d.png indicating a forced download path), strip the _d out. Flickr's 2026 firewalls heavily throttle download-appended URLs while letting standard static image paths pass. [6]
* Purge Cache in Incognito: Open a private browsing window after changing your network IP. CloudFront occasionally attaches the 429 state to temporary session cookies. [4]
*

## The Long-Term Forum Fix
If you are the forum administrator, you need to change how the platform serves embedded media. Enabling a Proxy Images feature (built into forum software like XenForo or Discourse) routes all BBCODE images through the forum's server cache instead of forcing every individual user's browser to bombard Flickr's servers simultaneously.
 
Last edited:
But this behaviour is new - I guess it's caused by some Flickr admin tweak to the rules around scraping/bot threats. Sigh ...

I've raised a ticket with them, let's see what they say!
 
Last edited:
That works for me. Has soneone really painted the unlock code onto the padlock?
No… have you heard of “Love Locks”? The basic idea is people in a close relationship (usually romantic, but I’ve seen some with families, or a Big Brothers/Big Sisters pair) take a padlock and lock it onto some kind of display surface to symbolize their commitment. In this case, the “code” is an important date for the participants.

This particular site is an old historic bridge on one of the major westward wagon trails, which was replaced by a modern 4-lane bridge a decade or two ago; instead of tearing it down, they kept it and turned it into a Love Locks venue.


20170809-P8094439.jpg by Travis Butler, on Flickr
A look at the old bridge from the new bridge.

It’s very convenient for where I used to work, so it was a regular spot for testing new lenses for me, and a fun place to stop from time to time. After I was laid off in 2022, I’ve had much less reason to go down that way, but I still stop by occasionally.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjD4F8y is my latest visit, testing out the Oreston I found recently.
 
A few glamor shots of my Rivian R1T on the Alpine Loop in Colorado’s San Juan mountain range.

P1434712-X3.jpg


P1434675-X3.jpg


P1434597-X3.jpg


P1434625-X3.jpg
 
A few glamor shots of my Rivian R1T
Typical Colorado car, all muddy. :)


(When I moved from Colorado to California I was shocked - all the dirt road/off road cars were clean and polished. Maybe they were all mud over the weekend but they were clean during the week. A completely different culture. Where I grew up in Western Colorado you were expected to leave the mud on, to show you had been out in the boonies.)
 
Last edited:
A few glamor shots of my Rivian R1T on the Alpine Loop in Colorado’s San Juan mountain range.

View attachment 18292

My favorite of the set; I love the sky, and for 'beauty' pics I think it looks better without quite so much mud... ;)

Looks like it'd handle the road down into the Castle Rock (KS) lowlands pretty well; those were pretty badly rutted the last time I went down there. (Are you still interested in meeting at Castle/Monument Rocks one of these days?)

And this is good timing, because I was just thinking of trying to start a new SHOW thread devoted to vehicles...
 
Typical Colorado car, all muddy. :)


(When I moved from Colorado to California I was shocked - all the dirt road/off road cars were clean and polished. Maybe they were all mud over the weekend but they were clean during the week. A completely different culture. Where I grew up in Western Colorado you were expected to leave the mud on, to show you had been out in the boonies.)
Love it! But, we almost missed the mud.

We had camped the night before in Ouray, and were planning to head out at sunrise to drive the loop, in order to avoid traffic. However, at about 4 am, a windstorm moved through, followed by about 4 hours of rain. We chilled out at the campsite, waiting for the rain to stop, and almost went home, being concerned about mud on the trails. But we figured it would be mostly gravel and not dirt - which turned out to be true - so we decided to give it a shot. It turned out to be an epic day, and we spent 6+ hours driving the trails to Lake City. Talked to one driver who said that all the rain did was keep the dust down, which was true. We finally got to Lake City about 8:00 pm, had some dinner, and went out to do some quick astro. It was an amazing, but tiring, day. And yes there were enough mud puddles to give the car some bragging rights after the fact, LOL.

The Rivian did great. Never broke a sweat. And only used about 25% of the battery while on the trails. Got about 5 or 6 high-fives or “Nice Rivian!” comments while I was on the trail. I only saw one other Rivian while we were out there, and no other EVs.
 
My favorite of the set; I love the sky, and for 'beauty' pics I think it looks better without quite so much mud... ;)
LOL! Ok, perhaps they are “character” shots. Or boudoir?

Looks like it'd handle the road down into the Castle Rock (KS) lowlands pretty well; those were pretty badly rutted the last time I went down there. (Are you still interested in meeting at Castle/Monument Rocks one of these days?)
Sure! I’d probably have some photo friends want to come along too. Let’s talk!

And this is good timing, because I was just thinking of trying to start a new SHOW thread devoted to vehicles...
That would be cool.
 
at about 4 am, a windstorm moved through, followed by about 4 hours of rain
And I loved Rivian the photos, mud and all, and that part of Colorado. I was in Telluride just a few weeks ago, and had no rain (not much anyway), but you never now.
 
LOL! Ok, perhaps they are “character” shots. Or boudoir?

Tsk tsk tsk. Such naughty thoughts. ^_-

You'd make my sister all ashamed... (She lives in Bloomington-Normal, and has the fly-on-the-wall view of Rivian's activities and community participation. They get pretty high grades from her.)

Sure! I’d probably have some photo friends want to come along too. Let’s talk!

Well, we're just about to a good season again... temps finally coming back down out of the 90s, and lower sun angle for better golden hour. Sadly also means less daylight available, but you've got to make trade-offs somewhere.

That would be cool.

It's done!
 
Ferry to the of leaves for Dutch island called Ameland. Small trip through the Wadden sea (Lumix S24-105/4, it doesn't show it below the picture anymore...)
PANA8971.jpg
 
Back
Top