L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

S5ii Menu Query

SimonC

My new S5ii has arrived - what a camera! I tried out its low light capabilities yesterday, and was amazed at its performance.

But this is a question about the menu system; I've read the manual cover to cover, and have understood most of it, but one command/function has left me baffled. What does [Focus Stop] do? The manual says that "focus is fixed while the focus button is being pressed", and it's the default setting for the attached lens button - but I can't really fathom out its purpose. Is it something that you would use in a slow video focus pull, to stop the pull before its terminal?

I use it for situations where i use autofocus for example with a small area. I can point the camera to the subject i want to focus on, press the button and recompose the shor without loosing focus of that subject.

I use it for situations where i use autofocus for example with a small area. I can point the camera to the subject i want to focus on, press the button and recompose the shor without loosing focus of that subject.
Ah, thank-you, so is it basically an alternative to back-button focus, where releasing the back-button stops the focussing operation?

Ah, thank-you, so is it basically an alternative to back-button focus, where releasing the back-button stops the focussing operation?
Yes, if you use back button focus (as I do), then focus stop is unnecessary.

Back