L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Richards Wong's review of the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 DG DN OS - L-Mount

thanks for sharing my review @xaviergut !
Too bad i wasn't sent the L-mount version this time, so i can't test things like AF or Image Stabilisation with the Lumix. But on the positive side, E-mount does allow me to test it using my more demanding 61MP Sony

Too bad i wasn't sent the L-mount version this time, so i can't test things like AF or Image Stabilisation with the Lumix. But on the positive side, E-mount does allow me to test it using my more demanding 61MP Sony
Now that the SL3 is out, you can get that for your L-mount test bed!

I always enjoy your reviews Richard, even when I already have the lens:).

I've been using it in L mount since December and agree with your summary at the end of the video.

Like you I would have liked Sigma to have worked a bit harder on size and weight, the hood is not a good design, (mine has stayed in the box and I use an old Hoya Rubber Screw in which gives enough protection for me), silly way to remove tripod mount, but I tend to leave it on for ease of carrying - all of those issues disappear in use, it's by far the best focussing telephoto I have used for L mount, and I love the IQ. I use it regularly with the 1.4 TC and note no loss of image quality or autofocus speed performance.

Hope you get a L mount version to try soon.

Now that the SL3 is out, you can get that for your L-mount test bed!
To be honest I would prefer to upgrade my Leica Q to a Q3 if i have the spare cash!
Maybe that illusive S1RII or S5R you guys are talking about would fit my budget more

I always enjoy your reviews Richard, even when I already have the lens:).
I've been using it in L mount since December and agree with your summary at the end of the video.
Like you I would have liked Sigma to have worked a bit harder on size and weight, the hood is not a good design, (mine has stayed in the box and I use an old Hoya Rubber Screw in which gives enough protection for me), silly way to remove tripod mount, but I tend to leave it on for ease of carrying - all of those issues disappear in use, it's by far the best focussing telephoto I have used for L mount, and I love the IQ. I use it regularly with the 1.4 TC and note no loss of image quality or autofocus speed performance.

Oh thank you very much! Sigma L-mount lens has a lot less restrictions than the E-mount version, autofocus performance with the S5II/x should be closer to the Sony cameras as well so it seems to be the better version overall. How do you find the autofocus performance?

Hope you get a L mount version to try soon.

I will see what I can do. But I already said to the Sigma distributor I would love to try out the 500mm 5.6 lens, preferably in L-mount. That is most likely the next Sigma lens I will review. However, won't happen for a while.

To be honest I would prefer to upgrade my Leica Q to a Q3 if i have the spare cash!
Maybe that illusive S1RII or S5R you guys are talking about would fit my budget more
We’re all looking forward to your review of it in the summer (northern hemisphere)!

Last edited:
Oh thank you very much! Sigma L-mount lens has a lot less restrictions than the E-mount version, autofocus performance with the S5II/x should be closer to the Sony cameras as well so it seems to be the better version overall. How do you find the autofocus performance?

Running Dogs.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | S 023 + TC-1411
  • 280.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 640
Running Kids 2.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports 023
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 1250
Running Kids.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS | Sports 023
  • 186.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 320

Richard, I'm very happy with the autofocus performance of the 70-200 especially on the S52. I believe the 60-600 has the same focussing motors so I would expect that to be good also. I use the lens for all types of shooting but judge its performance mostly from running dogs, and running kids. My three grandkids all compete, XC and Track, the eldest having won a national title a couple of weeks ago. The above images were just a fun training session in the woods but the lens performs well in this type of situation, managing to follow the action maintaining focus on the subject well with a good percentage keeper rate. Also I have added an example with the 1.4 TC fitted, Charlie with a very chewed frisbee:).

Back