L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

No 28mm lens... WTF?

robin0112358

I only just noticed that there is not a single 28mm prime for L-mount. And this used to be one of the most common focal lengths. The reason I just noticed this, despite having compiled the complete spreadsheet of such lenses, is that I already own about ten models from the film era.

We have any number of 24mm options, but I find that this is too wide to afford a natural perspective. 28mm is the widest I want to go. And sure, with my ridiculous collection I am already sorted. But that doesn't help anyone else!

So, why don't the major brands support this classic focal length?

(OK, just noticed that there's a Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28 f/2 ASPH. But that doesn't count because it's a cash grab like their other products.)

Reactions: CMS
Yes, it seems that 24mm is the 'default' wide angle prime for most systems these days. I assume that the wider FOV is more popular among buyers.

I only have two primes in L-mount: the Lumix 50mm/1.8 and Sigma 35mm/f2, and by far I prefer the latter's focal length. If I want to go wider then I use one of my zoom lenses.

I noticed the same. I’d be using it instead of a 35mm. I can always crop in to 35mm without losing much. 24mm is too wide for me almost always.

But the reason is simple: crop factors in video. That’s why they go all wider by default now: 24 instead of 28 mm prime and 20-60 instead of 24-70 kit zoom

Thanks for the info, Richard.

I didn't notice that there was a Laowa Argus, since none of the other Argus range support L-mount. Good to know. That Sigma is an old model notably missing from the DN DG line. And I don't really count Lensbaby as a lens maker. I can always put vaseline on some other lens. LOL.

So, more than I thought in terms of pure numbers. But not a single compact and affordable 28mm.

Meanwhile, here are a few of mine that I can adapt.

53028339770_bdbf6330c3_b.jpg

Here's one with the smc PENTAX 1:2 / 28 from today. What a brilliant lens... amazing dimensionality Though it is the largest of the 28mm.

[P13670] comfy chair.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 1/40 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 3200

I didn't notice that there was a Laowa Argus, since none of the other Argus range support L-mount. Good to know. That Sigma is an old model notably missing from the DN DG line. And I don't really count Lensbaby as a lens maker. I can always put vaseline on some other lens. LOL.
LOL!

And yes this is the first Argus that supports L-mount. For the previous Laowa Argus lenses, I remember I asked Mr Li (founder and chief lens designer of Laowa) why there is no L-mount version, he told me the reason is, L-mount cameras has a rectangular piece in front of the sensor, which results in not enough clearance for the rear element of those lenses.

i agree with you guys, i would like to see some compact 28mm lenses. f/2, f/2.8 are fine.
Probably will see something from Sigma first? At least dont' see anything like that on Panasonic's roadmap so far, and i believe there are a few other lenses Panasonic would probably want to create first.

If you are ok with manual focus, the other option is to adapt some M moubt lenses, there are quite a few very compact M mount 28mm lenses released over the last year or two
like this beauty from TTArtisan:

Yes, a Sigma 28m f/2 would be interesting.

And even more interesting a Sigma or Lumix 40mm f/2 PANCAKE...

Thanks for the info, Richard.

So, more than I thought in terms of pure numbers. But not a single compact and affordable 28mm.

Meanwhile, here are a few of mine that I can adapt.

View attachment 764
The Sigma 28 Art is maybe old in terms of AF (HSM version for DSLR), but not in terms of optical quality. Yes, it is build as a tank, but it can be compared to the Zeiss Otus without loosing this fight! And the Otus provides no AF at all…
so if you look for the best 28mm you can get for l-mount, check the Sigma. But I fully understand if you don‘t want to carry it around

Honestly I'd never buy one of these DSLR lenses with an adapter built in - I know I'd regret it later.

A 28mm is needed and I'd say there's room for an I-series 28/2 and an Art 28/1.4.

I'd prefer a 28mm f/2.8 to keep it tiny. But it seems that everyday carry is not a priority of manufacturers.

In the meantime I have a small Vivitar F2 Close Focusing K-mount model that is compact. And the unparalleled smc Pentax F2 that is larger... but still smaller than today's monstrosities. Would prefer auto-aperture and auto-focus but not willing to double the size and weight of a lens for that.

I only just noticed that there is not a single 28mm prime for L-mount. And this used to be one of the most common focal lengths. The reason I just noticed this, despite having compiled the complete spreadsheet of such lenses, is that I already own about ten models from the film era.

We have any number of 24mm options, but I find that this is too wide to afford a natural perspective. 28mm is the widest I want to go. And sure, with my ridiculous collection I am already sorted. But that doesn't help anyone else!

So, why don't the major brands support this classic focal length?

(OK, just noticed that there's a Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28 f/2 ASPH. But that doesn't count because it's a cash grab like their other products.)
You're singing my song; there is the Sigma Art, but it weighs 865g. Great optics, no doubt but not for me. It's not just an L-mount issue. The Nikon, new Canon and Sony 28mm lenses are all small, yes, but not really "premium". I had the Sony and my old Pentax 28mm f2.8 made better pictures. Fuji has a nice 18 f1.4 and that's about it. Even MFT has only the Panasonic 14 f2.5 with the rattly aperture (unless you go slightly longer for the 15 f1.7). The Panasonic 16-35 f4 Pro is significantly lighter than either of the 28mm lenses available for L-mount.

The Panasonic 16-35 f4 Pro is significantly lighter than either of the 28mm lenses available for L-mount.
But there is also a 3 stops difference, so like comparing apples and oranges…

I have the 20-60, the Art 2.8/24-70 and the Art 1.4/28. The zooms are doing their job, the 20-60 delivers already decent results. The Art Zoom is great and the Art 28 outstanding. So I have a solution for every situation…

ok, an i-series 28 would be nice, but for me a 2.8/135 would be much prefarabe

I agree that comparing an f4 zoom with an f1.4 fixed focal length lens is kind of bonkers, but the fact that I did is a reflection of the lack of 28mm lenses out there. For my uses, a fast aperture is less useful than small size or resistance to flare. I agree about the 135mm as well - the Sigma Art 135 is another heavyweight at 1130g.

Sigma make a 24mm f/3.5 and I think a 28/2.8 would be entirely possible at the same size, or a 28/2 a bit smaller than the 24/2. There may even be enough demand to produce both in the same way as the 24mm options.

Sigma make a 24mm f/3.5 and I think a 28/2.8 would be entirely possible at the same size, or a 28/2 a bit smaller than the 24/2. There may even be enough demand to produce both in the same way as the 24mm options.
That is something only Sigma can answer. There are not even hints how many lenses are sold of different types. There are many thoughts that a lot of lenses are sold from stock for long time. So every lens which needs too long time before beeing reproduced is not a good lens in the eyes of every manufacturer…
For me the 3.5/24 was and will never be on my list, so needs and wishes could be quite different…

I remember reading in a Sigma blog that Sigma has a "rich" history with the 28mm focal length, and the 28mm F1.4 DG HSM was used as a demonstration to the commitment to that focal length, what with it's excellent optics and build quality.

So it's kind of surprising that they have not continued that tradition - at least, not yet. Hopefully, they will. I'd like to see some 40mm lenses as well.

Back