L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

News New L2 Technology Promotional Video

The PanasonicLumixVideo youtube channel released a short video yesterday promoting L2 technology:

It seems they intend for their products to share some of the exact same features and capabilities.
Could we see a new Leica model with PDAF?

A Leica SL3-S with PDAF would be great... and a Leica Q3 with PDAF would be very tempting...

Or maybe not the exact same features. Maybe pretty similar cameras. Maybe a Panasonic version, much more orientation for video shooters. And Maybe a Leica version much more for stills shooter. The sensor needed for the rumord S1Hii would be somthing what also would fit perfectly in a sports and wildlife camera.

A big worry I have is that if Panasonic skew towards video leaving Leica to stills, then I’ll be paying through the nose for a feature-limited camera with a red dot. I hope that Panasonic don’t leave stills shooters behind. I have zero interest in Leica gear (well maybe a Q, but it would need a tilting EVF for me to even consider it).

A big worry I have is that if Panasonic skew towards video leaving Leica to stills, then I’ll be paying through the nose for a feature-limited camera with a red dot. I hope that Panasonic don’t leave stills shooters behind. I have zero interest in Leica gear (well maybe a Q, but it would need a tilting EVF for me to even consider it).
I think your worries are unnecessary. For most kind of cameras it doesn't make a difference for stills shooters. I think at the entery category of cameras, like the S5 and S5II, it's more win than loose. Standard photagraphy features are not expensive to implement and most new features at all brands in this category are leand towards video shooters. Panasonic offers even more for video shooters than other brand, but we as photographers als get some features from the video world which benifit us. All the 6k photo modes, the excelent IBIS or real time LUT are all origined from video features.

The only thing what we maybe don't get from panasonic is a high end body suted for sports and wildlife photgraphy, like the Z9 from Nikon. But if you look at the Z9 or at the rumord specifications of the S1HII, you will see there are many things both have in comon. Both have the need for a very fast sensor. So maybe we don't get a camera wich is intesioned as sports and wildlife camera, but maybe one wich is also capable of it. And there comes Leica in to play, if you want to strip off many of the for a wildlife and sportsphotographer unneeded video features. Maybe a stripped down S1HII with red dot will be more expensive than a S1HII, but maybe it will be still in the price range of an Sony A1 or upcoming Canon R1. The latest release of the Leica 100-400 also shows us, that leica is willing to offer something in a more rechable price point.

I think your worries are unnecessary. For most kind of cameras it doesn't make a difference for stills shooters. I think at the entery category of cameras, like the S5 and S5II, it's more win than loose. Standard photagraphy features are not expensive to implement and most new features at all brands in this category are leand towards video shooters. Panasonic offers even more for video shooters than other brand, but we as photographers als get some features from the video world which benifit us. All the 6k photo modes, the excelent IBIS or real time LUT are all origined from video features.

The only thing what we maybe don't get from panasonic is a high end body suted for sports and wildlife photgraphy, like the Z9 from Nikon. But if you look at the Z9 or at the rumord specifications of the S1HII, you will see there are many things both have in comon. Both have the need for a very fast sensor. So maybe we don't get a camera wich is intesioned as sports and wildlife camera, but maybe one wich is also capable of it. And there comes Leica in to play, if you want to strip off many of the for a wildlife and sportsphotographer unneeded video features. Maybe a stripped down S1HII with red dot will be more expensive than a S1HII, but maybe it will be still in the price range of an Sony A1 or upcoming Canon R1. The latest release of the Leica 100-400 also shows us, that leica is willing to offer something in a more rechable price point.
Thanks. I guess you're right. In truth my needs are fairly simple - a tiny subset of what video users would need. I don't even need fancy AF or high frame rates. My perfect camera would be a shrunken S1R - best possible raw file IQ, best stabilisation possible (IBIS/Sync IS), excellent EVF, two-axis tilt screen, decent battery life, good handling. That's about it.

As to Leica - I confess to being something of a Leica-phobe. I see a lot of their gear as just over-priced stuff for people who view cameras as status symbols, or who pine for some magical "look" that IMHO is little more than marketing hype. I see nothing in the SL2 or SL2s that offers anything tangible over the Panasonic equivalents except for a huge price tag and a red dot. In fact, they don't even have tilt screens which would be a no-no for me. And I still don't understand how the rangefinder M cameras are still selling - what is the point of them? The Q does intrigue me though - but again, no tilt screen.

I suspect the price of Leica’s general purpose SL cameras will come down a bit with this partnership. They already look to be making moves to a lower cost SL lens lineup.

They can justify the M series as a unique experience, but it’s harder to do that with the SL range while still keeping them competitive as fully functional modern digital cameras. maybe an L mount rangefinder body could be offered with the new 35 and 50mm? M styling but with AF options?

As to Leica - I confess to being something of a Leica-phobe. I see a lot of their gear as just over-priced stuff for people who view cameras as status symbols, or who pine for some magical "look" that IMHO is little more than marketing hype. I see nothing in the SL2 or SL2s that offers anything tangible over the Panasonic equivalents except for a huge price tag and a red dot. In fact, they don't even have tilt screens which would be a no-no for me. And I still don't understand how the rangefinder M cameras are still selling - what is the point of them? The Q does intrigue me though - but again, no tilt screen.
I can relate to some extent, but have you tried an SL2? After first handling a S1, the SL2 instantly felt right in my hands. I realize others have an exact opposite reaction, and some couldn’t care less. I found I much preferred it. There have been a few times I wish it had a flip screen though. Lucky for me the used Leica was less than the new Panasonic and came home with me. I do have an issue with the premium Leica asks for its lenses, but have no hesitation using the excellent Panasonic and Sigma lenses on the Leica body.

I can relate to some extent, but have you tried an SL2? After first handling a S1, the SL2 instantly felt right in my hands. I realize others have an exact opposite reaction, and some couldn’t care less. I found I much preferred it. There have been a few times I wish it had a flip screen though. Lucky for me the used Leica was less than the new Panasonic and came home with me. I do have an issue with the premium Leica asks for its lenses, but have no hesitation using the excellent Panasonic and Sigma lenses on the Leica body.
I'll admit that I've never seen (in real life), let alone handled an SL or SL2. Maybe I'd like it, but the lack of a tilt screen would take some selling!

I'll admit that I've never seen (in real life), let alone handled an SL or SL2. Maybe I'd like it, but the lack of a tilt screen would take some selling!
Ha! Not surprising. The only one I have ever seen, is the one I have. But then again the only S1 was at the same time. These cameras are not common.

Thanks. I guess you're right. In truth my needs are fairly simple - a tiny subset of what video users would need. I don't even need fancy AF or high frame rates. My perfect camera would be a shrunken S1R - best possible raw file IQ, best stabilisation possible (IBIS/Sync IS), excellent EVF, two-axis tilt screen, decent battery life, good handling. That's about it.

If you've used a rangefinder Leica M or others you'd probably get it. For example if I'm going away for a few days, M with a 28/50/90, one of which is on the camera, other two are in jacket pockets or very small shoulder bag that will carry everything, one battery easily lasts all day and some, no faffing with AF settings, easy to compose, focus and expose, the camera just stays out of your way. Not ideal for all scenarios but for travel/reportage/ documentary it takes some beating:).

I agree to some extent about the L mount Leica variants but if you want small, light with AF and wonderful image quality the CL takes some beating. Would we have L mount at all without Leica, I think not, and it needed the three to make it competitive going forward, Leica, Panasonic, Sigma, and thank goodness for Sigma I say, big fan of their L mount offerings.

If you've used a rangefinder Leica M or others you'd probably get it. For example if I'm going away for a few days, M with a 28/50/90, one of which is on the camera, other two are in jacket pockets or very small shoulder bag that will carry everything, one battery easily lasts all day and some, no faffing with AF settings, easy to compose, focus and expose, the camera just stays out of your way. Not ideal for all scenarios but for travel/reportage/ documentary it takes some beating:).

I agree to some extent about the L mount Leica variants but if you want small, light with AF and wonderful image quality the CL takes some beating. Would we have L mount at all without Leica, I think not, and it needed the three to make it competitive going forward, Leica, Panasonic, Sigma, and thank goodness for Sigma I say, big fan of their L mount offerings.
I confess I've never used a Leica M either. I do like a small and light camera with a few primes for travelling though - that's what I use my Olympus Pen-F for. I guess it won't match a Leica M for IQ, but if you use it well, it delivers some great images anyhow.

Back