L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Model, a different kind

Richard Wong

When i have a bit of spare time, apart from photography, one thing I like to do is building plastic model kit (and then take some photos of it!). This is the latest one I built.
When I bought this Bandai K-2SO kit, my plan was just build it and paint it how it should be. But I changed my mind once I put the kit together.
I decided to follow the style of that garden robot in Ghibli’s Castle In The Sky movie. Not only because that's another of my favourite robot, but there are also just a lot of similarities between the two. A robot with long arms and long legs. Tough and strong but with a gentle heart.
Apart from the paint job, I've also made a few small customisation to the K-2SO, see if you can spot any of them.
Camera: Panasonic Lumix S5II (high resolution mode) | Lumix S Pro 70-200mm f/4 | H&Y RevoRing CPL+VND + Black Mist 1/8
Fog: PMI Smoke Genie
You can follow my toy photography account on Instagram if you are interested in toy models and toy photography as well !
1f642.png

https://www.instagram.com/toycapturer/

20230402-P1075740.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 150.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

Inspired by this scene in Ghibli's Castle in the Sky animation

ghibli copy.jpg

Some behind the scene photos:
Screenshot_20230402_150357_com.huawei.himovie.overseas copy.jpg
  • HUAWEI - VOG-L29

steps.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-GH6
  • LEICA DG 12-60/F2.8-4.0
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 3200

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_000321 copy.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_20230402_000321 copy.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 6
Nice shots Richard - but I confess to knowing nothing about model building or well-known fictional robots!

one thing I like to do is building plastic model kit (and then take some photos of it!). This is the latest one I built.
When I bought this Bandai K-2SO kit,
Good to see a Kiwi not recreating the Battlefields of Middle Earth :). I do confess I went to the Weta Cave Shop in Wellington and was tempted.

Great modelling must have taken many hours. Looks like a more productive hobby than jig saw puzzles!
I have a box full of airplane and ship models I have purchased over the years, still have not gotten around to building any yet. Want to learn proper painting techniques first, I understand todays acrylic paints are way easier to use than the lumpy oil paints I used to use on models when I was a kid.

I would love to see more posts about this! Love the detail on the figure.
Thank you!
Here are some more photos
20230402-P1075720.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 196.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100
20230402-P1075725.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100
20230402-P1075722.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

And here are the 3 figures I've built over the last 12 months (Leica Q for scale)
20230403-P1075751.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 151.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/2 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

That's a great photo of K-2SO!
Thanks Pete!

Good to see a Kiwi not recreating the Battlefields of Middle Earth :). I do confess I went to the Weta Cave Shop in Wellington and was tempted.
LOL. Funny you said that, I have never been to any of the Weta workshops. They opened one in Auckland, i'm very tempted to go but for some reason still haven't!
The only Middle Earth related place I've been to is the Hobbiton movie set!

Great modelling must have taken many hours. Looks like a more productive hobby than jig saw puzzles!
I have a box full of airplane and ship models I have purchased over the years, still have not gotten around to building any yet. Want to learn proper painting techniques first, I understand todays acrylic paints are way easier to use than the lumpy oil paints I used to use on models when I was a kid.
haha definitely requires a lot of time, and can't rush as usually when i try to rush results in messing up something!
Yeah the modern paints are great! I'm still learning. I haven't built any model kits for a very long time until recently.

Btw, I used to use my wireless video transmitter setup when doing product and also toy photography to check the image on the bigger screen but recently I have been using the Lumix Tether software a lot more. Both have their own pros and cons.
If you shoot with one of the latest Lumix camera and haven't try the Lumix Tether software, i recommend you to give it a try!

IMG_20230319_134509.jpg
  • HUAWEI - VOG-L29
  • 5.6 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/120 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 400

Back