L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lens buying advice

According to L-rumors a new Sigma 20-60mm f/2.8-f/4 is coming soon:


I am just curious about the price, size and weight...
Here is the official Sigma info
385 grams. Comparison videos to “The Original” in 3-2-1…. Lift off
 
To the OP, you may not be aware but Panasonic has had some trouble in the past with unwanted elements inside their lenses - things that shouldn't be there. There seem to be two parts to this - one known as "blue fogging" (because it is visible as a blue fog when looking into one end of a lens and shining a light in the other) and the other, well I'm not sure if it has a name. The second one is manifested by spots on the glass elements within the lens and the 24-105mm seems to be the most common lens where this is reported, although that may just be because it's a very popular focal length so a lot of people bought the lens.

My understanding is that these quality control issues should have been fixed by now but since Panasonic have never officially recognised them as problems they have not made any statements. So beware the 24-105mm and if you do buy one then make sure it's brand new and covered by an extended warranty. Even then, in some cases Panasonic have said it was fungus and the fault was with the owners for not taking good care of their equipment, which I don't believe for a second.

I own three Panasonic lenses (20-60mm, 50/1.8 and 16-35/4) all of which suffered from the blue fogging issue and were replaced by Panasonic, but I know not everyone had such good luck. Therefore my recommendation is to go with Sigma or even lesser-known makes such as Meike and Viltrox before Panasonic. I love my S5 and lenses but I don't think I will ever fully trust Panasonic lenses.

As for the 28-200mm, from what I have seen and read on this forum there is a lot of copy variation with some copies being acceptably sharp and others not. If you want a supperzoom the best option on L-mount would be the Sigma 20-200mm. It's a lot cheaper, better range and I'd trust it a lot more against QC issues.
 
To the OP, I have been shooting L-mount for many years - almost since the S1R was originally introduced - and I have 9 LUMIX L-mount lenses. Including an early 24-105. None of them have the “blue fogging” problem or any sort of fungus issues. My 24-105 does have a mechanical and/or electronic issue, but I bought it used so cannot attest to it’s history. Most of my LUMIX lenses have been purchased used, in fact.

I also have many Sigma lenses, which have performed well for me as well.

I have no problem endorsing either manufacturer from a lens reliability perspective. As for extended warranty, that’s a personal choice. If you prefer to go that way, then great. I do not and hence have no extended warranties on any of my lenses. But I do not think that Panasonic lenses in particular are more deserving of an extended warranty than any other manufacturer.

Life is short - get the lenses that excite you the most. All manufacturers have QC problems from time to time.
 
Thanks everyone who chimed in - I love the 24-105mm so far. It balances great with the s1iie. I did some senior portraits with it, and I had a talking head video gig with it last week. This will definitely be my workhorse for a long time. Lots of fall photography soon! I still have a long wishlist but between this and my 35 and 50 I can cover a lot!
 
Back
Top