L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Leica launch the Q3

pdk42

Top Poster Of Month

Looks very nice. I’ve always liked the Q concept but really struggled to justify the price and the fact that it had no tillable rear screen. Seems they’ve fixed the later, but made the first worse!

Anyhow, it has a new 60Mp BSI sensor which given the strong Leica/Panasonic partnership, almost certainly means it’s what we’ll see in the new S1(R).

You just have to like/love 28mm (actually more a 26mm), they can keep adding pixels but cropping in is still cropping in, even though it's a wonderful lens and a beautiful bit of kit. (Previous Q2 owner).

I'd just like a bit more resolution in a S5 sized body.

Bizarre product like all contemporary Leica cameras. The high resolution is great for photography but why cram the video features in there? Desperately needs a tilting viewfinder, but instead they emphasise the back screen like any other modern design.

Leica should play to their heritage and produce something distinctive. But they left it to Fuji to make lovely tactile cameras with meaningful physical controls. Instead they come across like some second-rate Apple. "Unique. Just like you." is a horrid catch-phrase.

Even if I had that kind of money, I'd hardly spend it on this!

Not keen on the 28mm focal length or the price, but having owned a Sony RX1 I do like the concept of a high quality fixed lens camera.

I would agree, seems very likely that they will use the same in a SL3 and S1Rii

Love the Q too. I’m even more irrationally torn to the monochrome version. Even less reasonable, even more expensive. Which makes me want it even more
Sensor readout seems slow, with rolling shutter issues. Ok for the Q3, but I wouldn’t want that in a new SL3 or S1. hopefully they will use something faster.

I love my Q2 but fortunately no desire for tilting screen or more resolution and consequently no GAS on this occasion
My 'natural' fl is 35mm or so I thought but increasingly comfortable wider 'just get closer' ;)

I love my Q2 but fortunately no desire for tilting screen or more resolution and consequently no GAS on this occasion
My 'natural' fl is 35mm or so I thought but increasingly comfortable wider 'just get closer' ;)
For me a tilting rear screen is essential, so this is a very worthwhile evolution in my opinion. I'm still not ready to spend this sort on money though, so it's rather academic.

I have a Leica Q myself and absolutely love it! Would love to upgrade to a Q3 but my bank tells me I'm dreaming.
35mm is my favorite "everyday" focal length too, but when I had a family trip to Japan a few years ago, i only took my Leica Q with me and left all my other cameras at all. Thought it may be a bit risky, a bit too wide and I got no longer lens as well but I end up loving the experience and also the photos from that camera. Just really enjoy shooting with a simple fixed lens camera, pretty much point and click, i didn't even need to bring a special camera bag too.
Q3 has PDAF, I guess that means we can expect to see PDAF on all the future autofocus Leicas?

I have a Leica Q myself and absolutely love it! Would love to upgrade to a Q3 but my bank tells me I'm dreaming.
Yes, it's a pricey camera here in Australia. DigiDirect list price is AUD $9,788. :eek:
35mm is my favorite "everyday" focal length too, but when I had a family trip to Japan a few years ago, i only took my Leica Q with me and left all my other cameras at all. Thought it may be a bit risky, a bit too wide and I got no longer lens as well but I end up loving the experience and also the photos from that camera. Just really enjoy shooting with a simple fixed lens camera, pretty much point and click, i didn't even need to bring a special camera bag too.
I don't think I could live with just one focal length but I guess 35mm would be the one if I had to choose.

Q3 has PDAF, I guess that means we can expect to see PDAF on all the future autofocus Leicas?
I think that's likely, and maybe this is part of the L2 partnership where Leica uses Panasonic technology. It's a good move.

I guess this is the best compact camera ever made. Not cheap, by the way. The improvements are really important; especially the new sensor, PDAF and tilt screen.

But I don't know if the stabilized lens compensates the lack of IBIS...

7000€ for this

lol, as always with leica ...

happy for them, some guys have enough money to let them alive

I guess this is the best compact camera ever made. Not cheap, by the way. The improvements are really important; especially the new sensor, PDAF and tilt screen.

But I don't know if the stabilized lens compensates the lack of IBIS...
Generally speaking, OIS is more effective than IBIS. It certainly doesn't suffer from edge-warping at wide angles as IBIS does. The benefit of IBIS of course is that it can work on unstabilised lenses.

Generally speaking, OIS is more effective than IBIS. It certainly doesn't suffer from edge-warping at wide angles as IBIS does. The benefit of IBIS of course is that it can work on unstabilised lenses.
That's not the case IBIS is more effective than OIS in Normal and wider focal length. OIS is more effective for Tele. There is no OIS that allows you reliably one second and above exposure with any focal length. But with good IBIS systems and short focal length, you can do that. However IBIS is more expensive and adds up weight and size to the body. The stabilization in the Q and Q2 haven't got the best reputation either.

The reason why Leica opt for the OIS is probably, because there can use the same lens than in previous generations of the Q.

Never had any problems with the Q2 tbh but then I've not tried to use it for exposures that slow

I always want IBIS so my lens choice is unrestricted. Never understood the logic of putting extra mechanisms in every lens instead of once, in the body.

I always want IBIS so my lens choice is unrestricted. Never understood the logic of putting extra mechanisms in every lens instead of once, in the body.
The Q3 just has the one lens so it probably makes sense there. Also that lens has a leaf shutter so there is no limitation for flash sync.

Other than the price is seems like a very attractive camera.

That's not the case IBIS is more effective than OIS in Normal and wider focal length. OIS is more effective for Tele. There is no OIS that allows you reliably one second and above exposure with any focal length. But with good IBIS systems and short focal length, you can do that. However IBIS is more expensive and adds up weight and size to the body. The stabilization in the Q and Q2 haven't got the best reputation either.

The reason why Leica opt for the OIS is probably, because there can use the same lens than in previous generations of the Q.
Thanks for that. I guess the answer is more complicated than just one being better than the other. This is a good article I think:

Back