L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Laowa 90mm f2.8 APO 2:1 macro lens for mirrorless cameras.

RichardC

I've had this lens for about a week. I wanted the option to go in closer than 1:1 without resorting to tubes or auxilliary lenses.

It's completely manual with no electronic coupling. Image quality is superb.

hoverfly020723.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 400

Great image. How close have you been to the fly with the front lens?
Thank you.

I preset the magnification to 1.5:1, so a little larger than life size on the sensor.

At that magnification, the focus point is about 80mm forward of the front lens element.

Lighting is ambient and flash. I use the Meike MK320 which has a flat profile - the flash tube is about mid-way along the lens barrel. There is a Dorr collapsible flash diffuser attached to the lens. Other attachments are Ezybounce bounce card and the Meike diffuser.

IMG_4981.JPG
  • Apple - iPhone X
  • iPhone X back dual camera 4mm f/1.8
  • 4.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/19 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 25

Macro season is here in the Midlands. Still using and loving the Laowa 90mm. Same set up as above.

Thanks to ACR 'enhance' AI noise reduction, I've changed my workflow though. Mode is manual, I no longer bother about ISO and only change my lens aperture to increase or reduce depth of field. Without flash I just set ISO to auto. With flash, I'm varying ISO according to the previews in the viewfinder.

These are from the last week or so.

Although I found macro easier with micro four thirds, I don't like the 'crunchy' appearance of MFT images. So glad I made the change to the S1R - even with the weight!

hoverfly_140524.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 3200

fly_xpan.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • 1/160 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 1600