L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hello from Asheville, North Carolina, USA!

Sam Bennett

Greetings!
Have just joined the L-Mount family by acquiring an S5 II with the 20-60 kit and a 35/1.8. I've been photographing using Micro Four Thirds cameras for about 14 years, and prior to that was shooting with professional dSLRs from both Nikon and Canon. While I mainly take photos for fun these days, I've worked semi-professionally off-and-on for years and am currently working for one of the local music venues to document the artists who come through their doors (prior to moving to a new market I was a staff photographer for SoFar Sounds in Raleigh, NC). I do a lot of "community" photography as well, and am probably best known for my environmental portraiture. I've done a lot of sports photography in the past - dog sports, roller derby and hardcourt bike polo - but haven't done much of that recently.

I would have to say I'm "dipping a toe" into L-Mount. This journey started with the announcement of the G9 II since the idea of having two bodies that have the same "user experience" while having two different mounts/sensors with their own unique capabilities appeals to me. I typically photograph events with two bodies - one on a strap with a tele-zoom/prime, and one on my hip with wide-zoom/prime.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200813094921885_COVER-01.jpeg
  • Google - Pixel 3
  • 4.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/1020 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 48

I'm pretty happy with my MFT gear, but would like the flexibility of getting shallower DoF at the wider end of the focal range to help get a bit more subject separation and the option to use f/2.8 zooms to have more focal length flexibility while, again, having relatively shallow DoF - that's where L-Mount comes into play. Assuming that I like that body, I would upgrade my E-M1 Mark III to the G9 II for tele work.

Haven't taken many photos with the S5 II yet, but have been spending time getting it setup to my liking. So far there's a lot that I like, and a few things that may prove to be deal-breakers. Have a concert on Sunday night which will be the first real-world test for the body.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all (I recognize some from DPReview) and learning from and sharing with you!

PXL_20231202_152922446-01.jpeg
  • Google - Pixel 7
  • Pixel 7 back camera 6.81mm f/1.85
  • 6.8 mm
  • ƒ/1.85
  • 1/1000000 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 141

My E-M1 paired to one of my favorite lenses of all time, the Olympus 17mm f/1.2 and the pairing that might "replace it"- the S5 II and the Lumix 35mm f/1.8.

Welcome Sam!

Welcome Sam, I'm new too ! I'm coming from Fuji X-T4. Nice introduction!

Welcome Sam. I have the S5IIx, and have just added a G9 II, for kind of the same reason you suggested, to have a second camera with telephoto. I have been shooting Lumix for quite a while and I think once you get used to handling these cameras you will come to believe they're the best. A great thing about the G9 II is it is just like S5 II, and setting them up is exactly the same, and handling is the same. I've shot M43 in the past so I know the good and the bad (and modern noise reduction is a godsend for M43).

Back