L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Get ready for another NEW Phase

CharlesH

LMF-Patron Gold
NEW PHASE. Does anyone have an idea what this is?

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 1.22.18 PM.png

Look at the line drawing of a lens mount, then look at a GH6 lens mount...

Phase detect for M43.

Right under my nose, I think you are both right.

Yes, it's likely to be a G9 Mark 2 based on other rumors I've seen.

A few weeks back in one of the LUMIX LIVE webcasts, Sean Robinson from Panasonic was talking about some LUMIX camera features and briefly referred to "the original G9". A question was posted on the YouTube page asking what this meant, and the video was promptly edited and this comment removed. That confirmed for me that there must be a newer G9 coming.

A G9II would be good. I had a G9, but sold it a couple of years ago, and sort of regretted it. Hope I don't get GAS if it is a G9II. :)

I think its an MFT announcement. Will be interesting to see what they’ve been up to. But having decided to consolidate into L mount I’m just not a potential customer for any new MFT system.

I think its an MFT announcement. Will be interesting to see what they’ve been up to. But having decided to consolidate into L mount I’m just not a potential customer for any new MFT system.

Yes, it's definitely a G-series MFT camera. I will be interested to see what Panasonic has developed, but I won't be buying one as the original G9 was the same size as the S5 so I can't see the point. I still have a GX85 and would like a new smaller rangefinder-style MFT camera with PDAF, but Panasonic has made it clear these didn't sell well and they have no plans to make another one.

Yes, it's definitely a G-series MFT camera. I will be interested to see what Panasonic has developed, but I won't be buying one as the original G9 was the same size as the S5 so I can't see the point. I still have a GX85 and would like a new smaller rangefinder-style MFT camera with PDAF, but Panasonic has made it clear these didn't sell well and they have no plans to make another one.
I sold my GH5 in 2020 to help fund the S5. I sold my GX800 to fund purchase of a Leica CL (as per my other thread)…. So I’m totally L now.

Interestingly the CL (body) is about the same size as a GX85. But can share lenses with my S5. Which has a massive cost and convenience benefit.

IMG_3303.jpeg

I sold my GH5 in 2020 to help fund the S5. I sold my GX800 to fund purchase of a Leica CL (as per my other thread)…. So I’m totally L now.

Interestingly the CL (body) is about the same size as a GX85. But can share lenses with my S5. Which has a massive cost and convenience benefit.

View attachment 1062

Very nice! I'd not considered that as an option. It looks like the CL is a bit scarce now it's been discontinued but I might keep my eye out for one. Is it fun to use?

Very nice! I'd not considered that as an option. It looks like the CL is a bit scarce now it's been discontinued but I might keep my eye out for one. Is it fun to use?
Maybe it depends on the market, but in my observations a used CL, TL or TL2 is getting more expensive since Leica discontinued it and the L-Mount is getting more popular. At least in Germany.

I regret, that I didn't buy one two years ago when you could get a cl for under 1500€. Now it's harder to find offers at all. Mostly over 1500 € and from other European countries.

I think it’s fun. Depends how you like to shoot but it will support almost any style. You can do a completely manual experience and just use the punch in and focus peaking. Or it can work like a point and shoot with everything set to automatic.

I always hear people rave about the g9 - what about it was so loveable? It was essentially the template in terms of features and user experience for the s5 right?

I always hear people rave about the g9 - what about it was so loveable? It was essentially the template in terms of features and user experience for the s5 right?
It's Panasonic's photography oriented Micro 4/3 camera with the best still image quality of all the G series and a design very similar to the S1(R): https://camerasize.com/compare/#725,814

That it appears to be the first G series camera to be updated with PDAF suggests Panasonic are still interested in having a photography oriented model in the range rather than making all the cameras hybrids like the S5ii(x). Hopefully we'll see a similar update to the S1(R).

It's actually the G95 that was the template for the S5. Same buttons and dial layout on top, the same buttons and dial on the rear although the G95 does not have a joystick and the play button was in a different place. The G95 and S5 bodies are almost the same dimensions too.

The G9 was Panasonic's flagship MFT camera and quite different in design. It has an LCD screen on the top, the mode dial was on the left with the drive dial beneath it (stacked arrangement), the font wheel was vertically oriented and sits behind the shutter button, and it is dimensionally a little bigger than the S5.

I always hear people rave about the g9 - what about it was so loveable?
The G9 is the only camera that I regret having sold and that I would buy again... The grip is the best I have ever used (except for the S1R which is also excellent) and the EVF was very nice too. It was a camera ahead of its time and I hope that with the arrival of the new G9II the price will drop so I can buy it again ;-)

Well, the G9II was presented, I think it has the same body as the S5II/X, and that could be an intelligent move because, if I am not wrong, you can use the same battery, extragrip, cage and gymbal for both systems...

Let's say that the G9II is more oriented towards action photography and the Lumix FF S5II/X we already know their benefits in low light, etc. Many photographers share the two systems and may find the possibility of sharing accessories useful, if that's the case.

Well, the G9II was presented, I think it has the same body as the S5II/X, and that could be an intelligent move because, if I am not wrong, you can use the same battery, extragrip, cage and gymbal for both systems...

Let's say that the G9II is more oriented towards action photography and the Lumix FF S5II/X we already know their benefits in low light, etc. Many photographers share the two systems and may find the possibility of sharing accessories useful, if that's the case.
I think the g9 makes the s5II a bit silly and questionable. The g9 rocks new subject detection, blackout free shooting and pre capture. Beside that it got 4k 120p and it can record to a ssd. The s5II should have the same photo features since it is the photo centric version of the X?. Also who wants a gh6 now since the g9 rocks phase detection and got pretty sick codecs. I hope Panasonic is not following the Sony way and launch every new no matter what league body with new features and forget about the other recent cameras.

I think the g9 makes the s5II a bit silly and questionable.
Could be... maybe Panasonic is trying to fight against the bad reputation of m4/3 System offering more in the G9II than the S5II. I don't know.

But you are right, what happens now with the GH6?

Looking at the G9II personally, I can't get very enthused. The S5II and S5IIx have better video and photo quality and dynamic range The only G9II advantage is smaller long reach lenses. And I have that at least partially addressed with the APS-C A6700. I ended up discouraged with the GH6 for video in anything but the best lighting, and the G9II won't be any better. So as a B cam for my S5IIx (my original reason for the GH6) I'll jut keep the S5II.

Back