L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Evening all from Lincolnshire

JCW_Snaps

Hi. I’m new here, my name is James. I purchased a bargain Panasonic S5 back in January to accompany the Z7 I already owned and have to say so far I’m thoroughly enjoying it. I’m pretty much solely a stills shooter (mostly landscapes) and so far I’m using a Sigma 24-70 art and 100-400 contemporary alongside the kit 20-60mm lens.

Welcome, James. The S5 is a very competent camera for general stills photography... and such a joy to use ;)

Hi James and welcome! Daumenhoch Smilie

Thanks all, they’re both nice cameras. I’ll try and come up with something a bit more insightful than that at the weekend maybe. Had a bit of a manic couple of days :)

Welcome. Would be really interesting to bear thoughts on the S5 vs the Z7 for landscapes.
I know I said I’d try and try and give a bit more feedback on this but I didn’t intend to leave it quite so long before I got around to it. I’ve pretty much solely ended up using the S5 since I joined here but dug the Z7 out to play with over the last few weeks. The abridged version is that I really didn’t enjoy going back to the Z to the degree I’ve packaged it up to send to MPB and I’m waiting for an S1R to arrive (fingers crossed tomorrow). It kind of makes more sense to me now to have two cameras that can share lens rather than two completely separate systems (or at least that’s how I’m rationalising it to myself anyway ). Hopefully I can give the S1R a quick tryout tomorrow and report back :)

I know I said I’d try and try and give a bit more feedback on this but I didn’t intend to leave it quite so long before I got around to it. I’ve pretty much solely ended up using the S5 since I joined here but dug the Z7 out to play with over the last few weeks. The abridged version is that I really didn’t enjoy going back to the Z to the degree I’ve packaged it up to send to MPB and I’m waiting for an S1R to arrive (fingers crossed tomorrow). It kind of makes more sense to me now to have two cameras that can share lens rather than two completely separate systems (or at least that’s how I’m rationalising it to myself anyway ). Hopefully I can give the S1R a quick tryout tomorrow and report back :)
That's good to know! What didn't you like about the Nikon?

I had a Z7 for a couple of months back in 2020. At the time my main system was Olympus (EM1.2). Of course the IQ was better with the Z7, but I found its features quite lacking compared to the Olympus. It felt like a previous generation camera compared to the Oly. The lack of livetime zebras or overexposure blinkies was a real deal breaker in the end. But Z has moved on a lot since then and I sometimes wonder if I should have persevered with it. But the S5 is a much more capable body than the original Z7 in terms of features, even if the EVF experience isn’t too good.

But it has to be said that the Z lens range is now notably better than L mount with some excellent options like the 24-200, 24-120, several pancakes, and multiple options in the wide-standard zoom range.

I had a Z7 for a couple of months back in 2020. At the time my main system was Olympus (EM1.2). Of course the IQ was better with the Z7, but I found its features quite lacking compared to the Olympus. It felt like a previous generation camera compared to the Oly. The lack of livetime zebras or overexposure blinkies was a real deal breaker in the end. But Z has moved on a lot since then and I sometimes wonder if I should have persevered with it. But the S5 is a much more capable body than the original Z7 in terms of features, even if the EVF experience isn’t too good.

But it has to be said that the Z lens range is now notably better than L mount with some excellent options like the 24-200, 24-120, several pancakes, and multiple options in the wide-standard zoom range.
If I’m honest I think I will probably miss the versatility of the 24-200. I agree there is an ever increasing number of lenses for Z mount but the Nikon models command a considerable price tag and there are limited third party options. As I said it makes more sense for me to run a single system and over the last few months I’ve had more enjoyment with L mount. The Sigma 24-70 and 100-400 alone cover the vast majority of my needs (may very well be tempted to ad a macro at some point though).

When I was on the move to mirrorless full frame, back in early 2021, Nikon Z was the last interesting option for me. Mainly because of lens selection and lens price's. That has changed drastically. Nikon made the most progress, in terms of lenses as well as camera bodys, in all mirrorless systems in the meantime. Now it's one of the most interesting systems out there. As specially with the new Zf.

When I was on the move to mirrorless full frame, back in early 2021, Nikon Z was the last interesting option for me. Mainly because of lens selection and lens price's. That has changed drastically. Nikon made the most progress, in terms of lenses as well as camera bodys, in all mirrorless systems in the meantime. Now it's one of the most interesting systems out there. As specially with the new Zf.
That is a very interesting issue. I am hesitating between the S5IIX and the Zf as my next camera. I made a comparison. I'll open a new thread.

Back