L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Comparing Sigma to Panasonic lenses

I have the Lumix 20-60mm and the 50/1.8 and from Sigma I have the 35mm f/2, 90mm f/2.8 and the 24-70mm f/2.8.

While all are optically excellent, the Sigmas are clearly much better built. Of course they're higher-grade lenses but some of the Lumix f/1.8 primes are much more expensive than their nearest Sigma equivalents. I have found that the I-series lenses really put the enjoyment into photography due to the feel they have in use - the solid metal, the buttery-smooth manual focus and the lovely clicks of the aperture ring. They're really classy products and if you're someone that appreciates that then Sigma is definitely the way to go.

I only have Lumix lenses so far (well, apart from the MF TTArtisan 11mm fisheye). I do like the 35mm FOV though and think I’ll pick up a 35/2 I series at some point.

I have the Lumix 20-60mm and the 50/1.8 and from Sigma I have the 35mm f/2, 90mm f/2.8 and the 24-70mm f/2.8.

While all are optically excellent, the Sigmas are clearly much better built. Of course they're higher-grade lenses but some of the Lumix f/1.8 primes are much more expensive than their nearest Sigma equivalents. I have found that the I-series lenses really put the enjoyment into photography due to the feel they have in use - the solid metal, the buttery-smooth manual focus and the lovely clicks of the aperture ring. They're really classy products and if you're someone that appreciates that then Sigma is definitely the way to go.
Do you have some portrait shots with the Sigma 90mm 2.8 you can show?

I agree that these days there's a dearth of 28mm lenses - I think it's considered the most boring of focal lengths these days. A compact 28/2.8 or a slightly bigger f/2 might sell fairly well. Canon just released a pancake 28/2.8 for the RF mount so Sigma could probably do a better one for at least 30% less money.

I'd still prefer a 135mm f/2.8 to be added though.

Back