L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Camera backpack advice

For the last ten years or so I’ve been using my low profile Lowepro Eventmessenger 150 shoulder bag. Originally bought for my m43 system, then used it with Fujifilm and still the S5ii fits with a lens attached, and 2 extra lenses. Even with the 70-300 attached and 2 extra lenses.

But while it still fits, the weight especially with the 70-300 and a water bottle in a side pocket it gets heavy for a shoulder bag. So for a while I was looking for a camera backpack and last Sunday I bought This bag (click) Alpha Air 25L from K&F Concept via Amazon (nice discount) and arrived today. I wanted a good medium sized bag with part camera bag, part extra storage for food / jacket / small umbrella for a day (hike), and a laptop compartment. Liked the bag but the bottom was way too flimsy. Maybe a manufacturing fault. And I didn’t like the dividers either too small or too large. I really liked the idea of being able to choose more storage for personal items or more camera storage, that was the trigger for me to buy this one.

Anyway this is going back to Amazon, and the search for a new (extra) bag starts over. I almost bought this one Lowepro Fastpack Pro 250 (click). But with fixed personal storage. Any suggestions? Ideas ?

Yeah. I've about given up on camera bags, and now just use any old backpack that suits the occasion. I bought a few of those Neoprene lens bags, and a square Neoprene camera wrap that has Velcro strips, then simply plonk the camera in the middle, and fold the corners inwards. Been working for me for a while now, I got run over 4 or so years back by a 4WD, broken hip, damaged my back a little, and a shoulder bag aggravates my back. Backpack seems fine. So far P1012675-230827.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G100
  • LUMIX G VARIO 12-32/F3.5-5.6
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/4 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200
P1012671-230827.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G100
  • LUMIX G VARIO 12-32/F3.5-5.6
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/4 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

You can also get a multitude of different inserts of you want to go that way too
25274401157.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G9
  • LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25/F1.4
  • 25.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.5
  • 1/15 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

I have an f stop bag which works well for me, but if I had to do it again I would look at the shimodo bags.

I wanted a good medium sized bag with part camera bag, part extra storage for food / jacket / small umbrella for a day (hike), and a laptop compartment.
I use the Think Tank Rotation 34 L Camera Backpack for a day hike

They have also a 50 L option (I don't use so much gear for a hike, but is an interesting backpack):

I have a Deuter 32L regular hiking packpack for very long hikes in mountains and just bought a superb Manfrotto Advanced2 Fast for cycling and better protection. 'Fast' as you have quick access through both sides without needing to completely remove your backpack, undo one strap and sling it around to the front.

I bought the Manfrotto (used twice) for a bargain, it is superb quality and better than what I expected and should save my S5ii and lenses if I crash on the bicycle. I'll also use it for shorter hikes where I don't need to bring emergency clothing, food and cooker etc. I don't need the super padded Manfrotto for hiking and just wrap gear up in clothes or something.

The retractable straps for carrying a tripod are excellent too keeping access to both sides open.

BTW it also has a dedicated laptop compartment on the back and everything is super padded. Also highly customisable, why pay more?

5-435559396.jpgmn-advanced-2-mb-ma2-bp-fm-fullopen-500x500-16538645.jpgmanfrotto-camera-backpack-advanced-2-mb-bp-fm_2_-3653551832.jpgmanfrotto-camera-backpack-advanced-2-mb-bp-fm_6_-2121764316.jpgmanfrotto-camera-backpack-advanced-2-mb-bp-fm_3_-4107770973.jpg

Manfrotto looks nice and more compact, but was sold out, but had the same price as the Lowepro Fastpack Pro BP 250 AW III, which will arrive tomorrow . It’s 3cm deeper than the normal version, which makes the camera storage inside 15cm. That means I can put the 70-300 (14.8 cm) upright.

I really was looking for a backpack that can hold a couple of jackets, some snacks and stuff for the day and the camera with lens attached and 2 lenses. And when going on vacation by car I can add macbook and chargers and stuff, and after arrival unpack half of it, and use the bag as I normally would.

Yeah. I've about given up on camera bags, and now just use any old backpack that suits the occasion. I bought a few of those Neoprene lens bags, and a square Neoprene camera wrap that has Velcro strips, then simply plonk the camera in the middle, and fold the corners inwards. Been working for me for a while now, I got run over 4 or so years back by a 4WD, broken hip, damaged my back a little, and a shoulder bag aggravates my back. Backpack seems fine. So far View attachment 3029View attachment 3030

You can also get a multitude of different inserts of you want to go that way too
View attachment 3031
I contemplated this last year before a long trip, but decided not to go this route. I think I get annoyed. All kinds of stuff on top. With camera + lens and 2 extra it’s quite a lot.

I’m a fan of Billingham bags and currently have 4 (don’t tell my wife, who find my photo bag fetish quite amusing!). My two favourites are the Hadley Pro, which will take any of the S cameras plus 2-3 lenses, including something the size of the 70-300 or the 70-200 f4 plus one or two smaller lenses; and the 225, which will take a camera plus four small to medium sized lenses. They are both shoulder bags, which gives easy access to the gear, but of course it’s not as comfortable as a back pack.

I’ve never liked back packs for camera gear because I like having the gear available for easy access which doesn’t really work with a back pack.

I’ve never liked back packs for camera gear because I like having the gear available for easy access which doesn’t really work with a back pack.
I'd rather a shoulder bag myself, but with my 35mm format gear it's either a backpack, leave the gear at home, or bulk pain later. Did near two years of physiotherapy in the gym to try and build up muscles etc, helped a bit, but the uneven loading on my back just triggers it off. It is what it is.

I guess my event messenger is just a little bit smaller than the Bellingham Hadley pro. It exactly fits the 70-300, with hood reversed, and the 20-60 and one of my 1.8 primes, hoods ready for use. But it weighs only 400gram, vs 1100. That is the difference of an s5 body

Will keep using it because it’s versatile and small. Below the shoulderstrap attachment there is a bottle holder on either side. On the inside there is room for an iPad mini and 6” ereader, and on the back a tight compartment for small documents, passport etc

But the Billingham is nicer, looks hand made and classy.
IMG_0138.jpegIMG_0136.jpegIMG_0137.jpeg

Last edited:
I contemplated this last year before a long trip, but decided not to go this route. I think I get annoyed. All kinds of stuff on top. With camera + lens and 2 extra it’s quite a lot.
Yeah, I use a small kids school backpack a lot, stops one loading in too much un needed cr@p and dragging it around the place.

I'd rather a shoulder bag myself, but with my 35mm format gear it's either a backpack, leave the gear at home, or bulk pain later. Did near two years of physiotherapy in the gym to try and build up muscles etc, helped a bit, but the uneven loading on my back just triggers it off. It is what it is.
I had a camera backpack before. Actually I still have it . But has no quick access and a bit too small, no laptop compartment either. Almost 20 years old, bought it for a trip to South America with my brand new Nikon D70. Traveled to a touristy site and kept the camera in the hand there.. a Naneu Pro Adventure K-2

I’m a fan of Billingham bags and currently have 4 (don’t tell my wife, who find my photo bag fetish quite amusing!). My two favourites are the Hadley Pro, which will take any of the S cameras plus 2-3 lenses, including something the size of the 70-300 or the 70-200 f4 plus one or two smaller lenses; and the 225, which will take a camera plus four small to medium sized lenses. They are both shoulder bags, which gives easy access to the gear, but of course it’s not as comfortable as a back pack.
Man bag collectors are nothing new nowadays. Bags for equipment even moreso.
You mustn"t have seen my post above, what I got is as quick as a holster. I challenge you to a dual with 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly' playing Z04 Kommmalherfreundchen

Traveled to a touristy site and kept the camera in the hand there.. a Naneu Pro Adventure K-2
When the wife and I visit busy touristy type places, where you're getting bumped and jostled a bit, the good thing about a backpack is that you can spin it around, and wear it on your front, and still have both hands free.. And keep a good eye on it as well. Worked for us so far

I really was looking for a backpack that can hold a couple of jackets, some snacks and stuff for the day and the camera with lens attached and 2 lenses. And when going on vacation by car I can add macbook and chargers and stuff, and after arrival unpack half of it, and use the bag as I normally would.
Sounds like these videos might be helpful. I use my F-Stop Anja, much the way you describe, but use the Guru more because it is smaller, but there are other options that are just as good or better.

Man bag collectors are nothing new nowadays. Bags for equipment even moreso.

You mustn"t have seen my post above, what I got is as quick as a holster. I challenge you to a dual with 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly' playing Z04 Kommmalherfreundchen
Be aware, I have a holster bag too !! Actually that one I got with my Olympus E-10, my first "real" digital camera back in 2001 or so. Still use it though... still fits the S5ii + 20-60

Very nice bag, in case I want to bring everything, it still fits with room to spare voor chargers etc. Bottom center is my 70-300. Feels very comfortable. This is miles better than the K&F Concept Alpha Air I tried earlier this week. I left the middle (under the orange velcro) complete open, so the s5ii+70-300 fits even with the hood attached normal.
To measure laptop compartment I tried my workstation laptop from work, a thick and heavy Lenovo 15.6" with no problem. So my personal MacBook Pro M1 (13.3) is no problem at all.

Very happy with the purchase.
IMG_4396.jpeg
  • Apple - iPhone 12 mini
  • iPhone 12 mini back dual wide camera 4.2mm f/1.6
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 250

Oh yeah, the camera back topic. Probably eight out of ten photographers have some how camera bag issues. I have two dedicated camera backpacks but I'm not happy with those. The camera backpacks reserve most of the space for camera gear and only a tiny for other stuff. I tend to carry not everything I have with me all the time. Only camera with one lens attached and maybe one or two additional lenses. I also have some inleys in different size which I can use for normal backpacks or bags. So I only the space I actually need for camera gear is used for it.

The advantage of backpacks is the better quick access. Both have side access for the camera. The bigger one I can rotate from my back to my front without putting it down and have access from the back of the backpack to all my gear.

Still hoping to find a back with the advantage of both, but without other disadvantages.

Cool, almost same design as my Manfrotto Advanced2 Fast except bigger. Mine is about the biggest I wanted to go out cycling with, on a road racing bike so any bigger would have been an impediment.

I'm finally getting my 70-300 on Monday so looking forward to both cycling and photography again as driving is very restrictive around the city.

Back