L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Are there good long EF lenses that play nice with the adapter?

CH_CH

Hi all,
I am well served below 300mm.
However, we all know that the long lenses in L mount are not numerous, i.e. 150-600 and 60-600, both of which are huge and heavy.
Are there interesting EF lenses for telephoto that play nice with the Sigma adapter? They are bound to be discounted or cheap as second hand...
Any experience?

I don't have any but I'd imagine the likes of EF 400mm f2.8 and others not available on L-mount would be decent regarding AF speeds. From what I've read they don't focus as quickly as RF lenses on Canon either so that is the discounted penalty price you pay but relatively speaking they are cheap on the used market.

Now you have me on Ebay looking at them :D

Hi all,
I am well served below 300mm.
However, we all know that the long lenses in L mount are not numerous, i.e. 150-600 and 60-600, both of which are huge and heavy.
Are there interesting EF lenses for telephoto that play nice with the Sigma adapter? They are bound to be discounted or cheap as second hand...
Any experience?
Of the two lenses I have the EF70-300 f4-5.6L works the best on my S5II. AF is accurate in both AFS and AFC. Not the fastest however and you have that FL already covered. Sharp lens throughout its range. I also have the EF400 f5.6L. This lens works well in AFS but not so much in AFC. It does work in AFC when it wants to but is not at all reliable. This lens is also very sharp but does focus more slowly than native lenses.
You didn't mention money so I'll add a note about the new Sigma 500 f5.6. It is quite small, shorter than the EF400 and feels to be about the same weight, which means light. It's a dandy lens - very sharp, good OIS, fast focus and easy to carry and shoot hand held. It was shipped in its own soft case with the lens shade detached and separate in the box. The case was small enough I could hardly believe there was a 500mm lens inside.

I wouldn't buy EF or other mounts for my S5ii, it's different if you switched from EF and still have gear. But buy the proper lenses for it and surely there will be long fast primes to come, as Rane says that new modern Sigma is the latest lens tech, lighter, smaller, sharper, latest focus motors etc.

Of the two lenses I have the EF70-300 f4-5.6L works the best on my S5II. AF is accurate in both AFS and AFC. Not the fastest however and you have that FL already covered. Sharp lens throughout its range. I also have the EF400 f5.6L. This lens works well in AFS but not so much in AFC. It does work in AFC when it wants to but is not at all reliable. This lens is also very sharp but does focus more slowly than native lenses.
You didn't mention money so I'll add a note about the new Sigma 500 f5.6. It is quite small, shorter than the EF400 and feels to be about the same weight, which means light. It's a dandy lens - very sharp, good OIS, fast focus and easy to carry and shoot hand held. It was shipped in its own soft case with the lens shade detached and separate in the box. The case was small enough I could hardly believe there was a 500mm lens inside.
Well, I have the 70-300 and I am also very happy with the results.
But 300mm is relatively short.
The 500 F5.6 is an option, but I prefer zooms for versatility. I have the very sharp MFT 50-200 and the beautiful MFT 200 2.8, and while I love the pics out of the latter, it is the former the one that gets used more.
I guess I will wait as I have no urgent need. But there is a gap there.

But there is a gap there
Panasonic 'still' :D needs to attract more stills photographers as it still has a video centric reputation. Even the sales people in the shop were perplexed I chose the S5ii over a Z6ii as I only take short video clips although this is now brilliant and a great asset over previous Pentax.

It depends how well the Sigma 500 f5.6 sells, few videographers will be buying this. If it is successful I'm hoping to see more comprehensive lens availability including 300 f2.8, 400 f2.8-f4 etc. For the moment they do 60-600 which is reportedly a better lens than 150-600. For now I'm enjoying the Lumix 70-300 f4.5-f5.6 and my only other lens, the Lumix 24-105 f4 isn't getting much use and the reason why I don't want any primes in that range. The 24-105 covers all of that.

Above 90mm and if I want AF I use a Tamron 70-210mm f/4 which is one of the last lenses designed for DSLRs before the complete move to mirrorless, and as such it's very sharp wide open. It plays pretty well with my Commlite adapter. It's not 300mm though. I have also tried the Sigma adapter and found it worked with far fewer lenses than the Commlite does - I suspect Sigma handicapped it to limit it mostly to their own lenses -, so you may want to look into alternative adapters to consider. Don't disregard a lens just because it doesn't play well with the Sigma.

Back