L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

VILTROX AF 14mm f/4, 20mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5 and 50mm f/2

xaviergut

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2023
Messages
1,409
New Viltrox AF lenses for the L-mount, already available, and all of them under 200$.


I just saw days ago a couple of portraits taken with the 50mm f/2 L (and the Lumix S1R), made by Matt Osborne:



 
European prices (at least in Spain). 10% off if you sign up to receive Viltrox e-mails.


2026-09-22 17_43_40-VTB_ Credit Card Helpdesk - Requested Items — Mozilla Firefox.jpg


I've been having a look on Flickr at some output from the 14mm and the 20mm and it's pretty impressive for the pricepoint.

I did a little test and added the 20mm to my basket and gave the site my shipping address. The 10% discount was applied automatically, shipping was free €3.63 in duties was added. Total €173.73 delivered. That's less than a third of the newly-announced Lumix 20mm.
 
Last edited:
But the Lumix is weather sealed. This is an important difference, isn‘t it?
 
Of these four, the weakest optically is 20/2.8. 14/4 is best, but 40/2.5 and 50/2 are not bad. I've set my sights on 40/2.5 myself. Maybe I'll take another 14/4 later.
 
But the Lumix is weather sealed. This is an important difference, isn‘t it?

Of course. I expect the Lumix will also be optically superior, better built and have better AF but is that worth paying more than three times the price? That's a question each photographer will need to ask themselves.

Of these four, the weakest optically is 20/2.8. 14/4 is best, but 40/2.5 and 50/2 are not bad. I've set my sights on 40/2.5 myself. Maybe I'll take another 14/4 later.

Is that right? I haven't looked into any of them in depth yet but the consensus seems to be that optically they're all very good for the price.
 
I expect the Lumix will also be optically superior, better built and have better AF but is that worth paying more than three times the price?
You can by the S50mm F1.8 second-hand quite cheaply. I 'd go for that one, but that's just my personal opinion.
 
You can by the S50mm F1.8 second-hand quite cheaply. I 'd go for that one, but that's just my personal opinion.

I have the Lumix S 50/1.8, it's an excellent lens, but in this case we were dicussing the new 20mm lenses.
 
Thanks. I just ordered the 14 and 20 from Viltrox's website. I used the coupon DAILY25 to get 25% off so I got both for $337.50
 
Thanks. I just ordered the 14 and 20 from Viltrox's website. I used the coupon DAILY25 to get 25% off so I got both for $337.50
The 14 and 20 are the ones I’m also interested in… I’ve got several 50s I like and I love the Hexanon 40/1.8, but the only 20 I have is the 20-60, and the only thing wider than that is the 11mm fisheye; something rectilinear would be nice.
 
Thanks. I just ordered the 14 and 20 from Viltrox's website. I used the coupon DAILY25 to get 25% off so I got both for $337.50
I tried this on the European site and the same code only gives a 10% discount, same as the one for those four lenses that is added automatically. That's a shame. I'm trying to save up a little but at €142.50 I'd have bought the 20mm right away.

Same 10% limit on the 16mm f/1.8 so it's not just the new Air lenses.
 
The 14 and 20 are the ones I’m also interested in… I’ve got several 50s I like and I love the Hexanon 40/1.8, but the only 20 I have is the 20-60, and the only thing wider than that is the 11mm fisheye; something rectilinear would be nice.
Yes, I have a 50 and a 40 already so the 14 and 20 are a nice addition. They ship from a US warehouse so I'm going to get the lenses tomorrow. Surprisingly, they didn't charge sales tax so that saved me another $27.
 
I tried this on the European site and the same code only gives a 10% discount, same as the one for those four lenses that is added automatically. That's a shame. I'm trying to save up a little but at €142.50 I'd have bought the 20mm right away.

Same 10% limit on the 16mm f/1.8 so it's not just the new Air lenses.
I must have just got lucky, because I tried that code today and it only showed 10% off.
 
Yes, I have a 50 and a 40 already so the 14 and 20 are a nice addition. They ship from a US warehouse so I'm going to get the lenses tomorrow. Surprisingly, they didn't charge sales tax so that saved me another $27.
Look forward to hearing what you think! I almost bit on them, but really shouldn't be spending the money right now. :(
 
Look forward to hearing what you think! I almost bit on them, but really shouldn't be spending the money right now. :(
Just got them late this afternoon. Very nicely packaged. Each comes with a cloth pouch. They are a little longer in length than the TT Artisan 40mm because TTA puts the USB port for firmware updates in the lens cap, making the lens shorter. In contrast, the Viltrox lenses have the USB port built-in to the lens so they are a tad longer. I'll take some comparison photos. I'll also take each leans with my S9 when I walk my dog and take some photos.
 
Just got them late this afternoon. Very nicely packaged. Each comes with a cloth pouch. They are a little longer in length than the TT Artisan 40mm because TTA puts the USB port for firmware updates in the lens cap, making the lens shorter. In contrast, the Viltrox lenses have the USB port built-in to the lens so they are a tad longer. I'll take some comparison photos. I'll also take each leans with my S9 when I walk my dog and take some photos.
Sounds decent; how’s the build quality?

Looking forward to the pics. ;)
 
Back
Top