L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

View from the top

Pete_W

LMF-Patron
I went into the city today for a walk around with my camera. When I got down to the harbour, I decided I would walk across the bridge to the other side, something I've never done despite having lived here my whole life. I've driven over it many times but never walked it.

Part way across I found that the viewing deck on top of the south east pilon was open, so up I went! Two hundred stairs later I was rewarded with some great views of the city and harbour.

S5II + LUMIX S 24-105/F4 24mm ƒ/8 1/320s ISO100
Sydney from the SHB south east pilon by Pete W, on Flickr

S5II + LUMIX S 24-105/F4 30mm ƒ/8 1/160s ISO100
Ferries on the harbour by Pete W, on Flickr

S5II + LUMIX S 24-105/F4 74mm ƒ/8 1/100s ISO100
Climbers on the arch by Pete W, on Flickr

Ooh, lovely!

How was it for acrophobia? I get idiosyncratic reactions… top of the Liberty Memorial tower was no problem, there was a thick masonry wall at chest height, so didn’t feel there was a way I could fall. Same kind of thing at the top of the St Louis Arch; a fully-enclosed space. But the observation walkway downstream from Hoover Dam was just a railing, and even if my chances of falling were nonexistent, it felt less secure, and I had to force myself to get within a meter of it.

Have to ask... Did you see Paul Hogan? Sorry for the Aussie stereotype but he actually worked on it as a painter before stardom, probably well before Croc Dundee... He probably did other stuff before but there you go.,.

If Aus has went woke then they'll try and delete him but he's an asset if you ask me

I went into the city today for a walk around with my camera. When I got down to the harbour, I decided I would walk across the bridge to the other side, something I've never done despite having lived here my whole life. I've driven over it many times but never walked it.

Part way across I found that the viewing deck on top of the south east pilon was open, so up I went! Two hundred stairs later I was rewarded with some great views of the city and harbour.

S5II + LUMIX S 24-105/F4 24mm ƒ/8 1/320s ISO100
Sydney from the SHB south east pilon by Pete W, on Flickr

S5II + LUMIX S 24-105/F4 30mm ƒ/8 1/160s ISO100
Ferries on the harbour by Pete W, on Flickr

S5II + LUMIX S 24-105/F4 74mm ƒ/8 1/100s ISO100
Climbers on the arch by Pete W, on Flickr
Wow, the tourists walking UP the bridge ! Crazy. See you Pete ! Clean images, I love em.

Ooh, lovely!

How was it for acrophobia? I get idiosyncratic reactions… top of the Liberty Memorial tower was no problem, there was a thick masonry wall at chest height, so didn’t feel there was a way I could fall. Same kind of thing at the top of the St Louis Arch; a fully-enclosed space. But the observation walkway downstream from Hoover Dam was just a railing, and even if my chances of falling were nonexistent, it felt less secure, and I had to force myself to get within a meter of it.
It felt very safe, thick brick wall with a solid pane of glass on top of it which finished around chest height.

Yes, I can imagine that having just a railing at Hoover Dam would put me off!

Have to ask... Did you see Paul Hogan? Sorry for the Aussie stereotype but he actually worked on it as a painter before stardom, probably well before Croc Dundee... He probably did other stuff before but there you go.,.

If Aus has went woke then they'll try and delete him but he's an asset if you ask me
Ha ha! Didn't see one bridge worker. Paul did have a TV comedy skit show before he did movies. It was pretty funny stuff although yes, like most 70s comedy it would probably not make it to air these days. I think he still lives in the USA.

Wow, the tourists walking UP the bridge ! Crazy. See you Pete ! Clean images, I love em.
Thanks! Yes, the bridge climb is a popular tourist thing to do. They walk up one side, across the top and down the other side. All with harnesses.

Thanks! Yes, the bridge climb is a popular tourist thing to do. They walk up one side, across the top and down the other side. All with harnesses.
Three of my friends did that the last time we were in Sydney. I wasn’t tempted.

Three of my friends did that the last time we were in Sydney. I wasn’t tempted.
I've done it twice, both with work visitors from the USA. I was fine going up and down the arches. The parts I didn't like were walking along a narrow metal walkway beneath the main deck and then climbing up some steep metal ladders onto the deck and then up onto the arch. Crossing from one arch to the other also felt precarious.

But I must say the views up there are unrivalled.

I greatly enjoy the photos and hearing a bit about the story behind them - but just wanted to say, your opening comment really resonated with me as it reminded me of a couple of conversations I had with friends, very recently. These were about doing the same sort of things when at home again and again compared to when going away - not exactly being stuck in a rut, but could be doing something a little differently… so going to try a take a leaf out your book!

Thanks!

Cool! Yes it was fun going out with not much planned and finding things to do and some photo opportunities in my home town.

Looking forward to your photos!

Back