L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sigma 24mm f/3.5 DG DN Contemporary (I-Series)

Jonathan-Mac

I haven't had this lens for long but I'll post some of the shots I've gotten so far as there are no others here yet.

The lens is very compact, build quality is excellent (as I would expect for an I-Series lens), it's sharp even wide open, colour and contrast are excellent. Bokeh is pretty good for a wide-angle and can be achieved with the lens's very short minimum focusing distance.

Bench stripes
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Quiche

Out to Cramond island

Seaweed II

Spinning

Flowers III

These are great shots! How do you feel about this lens as a general walk around option? Do you find the focal length too wide or the aperture too dark?

These are great shots! How do you feel about this lens as a general walk around option? Do you find the focal length too wide or the aperture too dark?

I really want to get the f/2 version but there were none on the used market and I only had funds for a used f/3.5, not a new f/2, so this is intended as a temporary measure and will likely be sold to fund half the f/2 when I've saved up the rest. I'm sure I'll miss the small size and close focus though.

Optically the lens is excellent - very sharp, great colour and contrast. 24mm is too wide as a general walk-around for me, especially as the maximum aperture limits the scope for subject isolation except when very close. That close focus is handy though. In terms of low light I haven't really used it in any situation where I was limited by the f/3.5 but obviously f/2 would be more useful there.

If you like wide-angle and don't need a faster aperture then there's really nothing not to like, and if you often focus close then this is a better option than the faster f/2 version. Even wide open it produces great results and stopping down is really only to increase the depth of field.

I've had this lens for about 6 weeks now, along with a Sigma fp L, as a replacement for my Sony RX1 that abruptly and completely failed after 11 years of regular use.

I'd agree with everything Jonathan has said, and would add two more things in the lens's favour: first, distortion is significantly lower than the f/2 version, and second resolution is good enough for sharp results with the 60MP of the fp L.

I'm perfectly happy with it as a general walk-around lens and really like the macro capability - the main reason I chose it over the f/2 - but then my preference is for wide angle lenses; I wouldn't like to use anything over 35mm as a general purpose lens.

This was my favorite lens because of the size.
I decided one summer to leave it on my camera and just use this lens.
I sold it and regret it. :(

Back