L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix Custom Settings

CharlesH

LMF-Patron Gold
I love the ways Lumix cameras can be customized, not with just a bunch of programmable buttons, but in easy logical ways that make photo and video much easier. Here is how my S5II is programed so others can comment. I’m very interested in how others customize their Lumix cameras.

I leave WB, ISO, Focus Mode, Fn1 and AF-ON at their defaults. The Q button is big for me. I Prefer Mode 1, so it is four rows and three columns. Here are my Photo and Video Q button settings:

PHOTO Q SETTINGS

Row 1Photo StyleZebra PatternLuminance Spot Meter
Row 2Silent modeShutter TypeFocus Peaking
Row 3Image StabilizerHistogramFlash Mode
Row 4LUT View AssistLevel GaugePhoto Grid Line

VIDEO Q SETTINGS

Row 2Exposure ModeLive CroppingRec Quality
Row 3Image StabilizerE-StabilizationBoost I.S.
Row 4LUT View AssistFan ModeAF Custom Setting

OTHER SETTINGS

In Video Mode I set the Shutter Button to start and stop video

I set the RED Video button to ‘Focus Hold’

I set the Control Dial Assignment to “ISO”

I set Continuous AF to “Mode 2” in video.

I set Fn2 to bring up the “Audio Information” Control Panel. I don’t use Fn3 to Fn10. I set Fn11 to “Dual ISO”.

I use the C1, C2, and C3 positions for starter video modes

C14K 30PVlogISO 640AFC
StabilizationVlog LUTWaveform MonitorLevel Gauge
C2Open Gate 30PVlogISO 640AFC
C34K APS-C 30PVlogISO 640AFC

I don’t use the “My Edit” function very much. I have used it on other Lumix cameras and find I hardly ever refer to it. If I do have a hard-to-find setting, I’ll use My Edit in the future.

I also have a GH6 and program it the same way, except there is already a button on that camera to bring up the “Audio Information” Panel.

I use the Q menu often but so far I’m ok with the default settings.
Most of my customization is with the C1-C3 modes.

C1 is base stills mode, configured for general single shot photography
C2 is C4K 30p vlog
C3-1 is C4K 60p vlog
C3-(2-9) are additional video modes such as 6k, and a few that I setup specifically for different types of sports events

What is the My Edit function? Are you referring to the My Menu? If so, I also don’t use this much. It’s too difficult to bring up quickly. I tried to assign it to a button but it wasn’t an option.

What is the My Edit function? Are you referring to the My Menu? If so, I also don’t use this much. It’s too difficult to bring up quickly. I tried to assign it to a button but it wasn’t an option.
Yep, My Menu. You can see I don't use it, I can't even name it. I like the idea of more video modes, especially 60p.

For me, it's this:

C1 - Landscape
C2 - Portrait
C3.1 - Web Cam
C3.2 - Action
C3.3 - Focus bracket
C3.4 - TTArtisan manual lens
C3.5 - OM 100mm manual lens

I love the way the C modes work.

I seldom use the Q menu, but do have a user-defined menu with card format, hi-res mode, monitor backlight and a few other settings configured.

I’ve mainly customised the buttons and dials.

The front and rear dials use [SET4] so the main parameter of the PAS modes is on the rear dial and exposure compensation is on the front.

The buttons are set to use the [AFTER PRESSING2] mode so the first press selects the parameter and subsequent presses (or using a dial) cycle through the values.

WB and ISO keep their standard functions, exposure compensation is reassigned to metering mode, and the red record button is reassigned to shutter type.

The control dial / d-pad has the dial assigned to focus point size, up to [AF-On: Near Shift], down to [AF-On: Far Shift], right to [SCP] to do picture-in-picture magnification of the focus point, and left to [Focus Area Set] because I don’t seem to be able to get used to using the joystick.

Custom modes: [C1] is normal stills, [C2] is extended ISO 50 and a low shutter speed for blurring water, [C3-1] is Human / Animal AF, [C3-2] is Tracking AF, [C3-3] is Video.

My Menu is customised for stuff I use occasionally and don't want to have to dig through the menus for: Min Shutter Speed, Extended ISO, Histogram, Zebra Pattern, Blinking Highlights, Luminance Spot Meter, I.S. Status Scope and Wi-Fi.

I haven’t used the Q menu, but it’d make sense to transfer everything that’s possible to move from My Menu to make it easier to get to.

The touch screen is turned off completely: it’s a camera, not a phone! ;)

I have C1 and C2 setup for train photography.

C1 - Aperture priority, aperture f11, shutter speed minimum set to 1/500s, auto ISO
C2 - Manual mode, aperture f11, shutter 1/800s, auto ISO

One problem with the custom mode on the S5 (and this applied to my G95 and I know it also applies to the G9) is that the AF mode is a hardware switch on the body. As far as I can tell, this means that AF mode can't be saved into a custom memory slot. So if I am waiting for a train and decide to shooting some static objects, I will switch into AF-S mode. When a train approaches, I therefore have to remember to not only turn the dial to C1 or C2 but also switch the AF mode lever over to AF-C. I have forgotten to do this a few times in my haste to frame the approaching train.

This problem doesn't exist on my little M4/3 Panasonic GX85 camera. It does not have a hardware switch for AF mode. It's changed via a menu option (I have programmed a function button to do this) so I can save AF-C into a custom setting and only one dial to turn when a train approaches.

IMO cameras are still in the dark ages of interface design and ergonomics. Too much to say so I wrote an article.
I read your linked “rant” :) but I don’t agree with its main premise. I’ve used a lot of cameras over the years and they are all, to a greater or lessor degree, a mess. But I think the mess is sort of inevitable given the complexity of what’s being controlled. A different design would please some but annoy others. I think the Panasonic UI is better than most and, at least for me, perfectly good enough to let me use the camera in ways that make sense to me.

I love the ways Lumix cameras can be customized, not with just a bunch of programmable buttons, but in easy logical ways that make photo and video much easier. Here is how my S5II is programed so others can comment. I’m very interested in how others customize their Lumix cameras.

I leave WB, ISO, Focus Mode, Fn1 and AF-ON at their defaults. The Q button is big for me. I Prefer Mode 1, so it is four rows and three columns. Here are my Photo and Video Q button settings:

PHOTO Q SETTINGS

Row 2Silent modeShutter TypeFocus Peaking
Row 3Image StabilizerHistogramFlash Mode
Row 4LUT View AssistLevel GaugePhoto Grid Line

VIDEO Q SETTINGS

Row 2Exposure ModeLive CroppingRec Quality
Row 3Image StabilizerE-StabilizationBoost I.S.
Row 4LUT View AssistFan ModeAF Custom Setting

OTHER SETTINGS

In Video Mode I set the Shutter Button to start and stop video

I set the RED Video button to ‘Focus Hold’

I set the Control Dial Assignment to “ISO”

I set Continuous AF to “Mode 2” in video.

I set Fn2 to bring up the “Audio Information” Control Panel. I don’t use Fn3 to Fn10. I set Fn11 to “Dual ISO”.

I use the C1, C2, and C3 positions for starter video modes

C14K 30PVlogISO 640AFC
C2Open Gate 30PVlogISO 640AFC
C34K APS-C 30PVlogISO 640AFC

I don’t use the “My Edit” function very much. I have used it on other Lumix cameras and find I hardly ever refer to it. If I do have a hard-to-find setting, I’ll use My Edit in the future.

I also have a GH6 and program it the same way, except there is already a button on that camera to bring up the “Audio Information” Panel.
This might be a stupid question, but from reviews I saw online I didn't think the S5 II had an easy way to switch between photo and video settings?

Does anyone have any suggestions or presets that they use for tracking with the Panasonic S5 mark II and the sigma, 150-600mm lens.

Tony.

Back