L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix 26mm f/8 "Pancake" lens with S9

CharlesH

LMF-Patron Gold
I got got the small Lumix 26mm f/8 "pancake" lens today and tried it out with the S9 camera.

I used it in the Crop Zoom(Photo) mode, with the Minimum Image Size set to S (6M), and Set Recording Image Size to OFF. This give a zoom range of 26mm to 51mm. I did a few pictures around the local golf course. I hadn't yet figured out how to get MF Assist to work with this lens and the S9 so I just used Focus Peaking and my hit rate was not good. (In the mean time I read the manual and learned how to use MF Assist.). These are jpegs out of the camera:

51mm
S9-2.jpg

51mm
S9-3.jpg

51mm
S9-4.jpg

I don’t think MF assist in the form of automatic PIP punch in, or the on screen distance scales work with this lens. It has no electronic contacts to know when you’re turning the ring or what distance the focus is at. I think you will have to bind a button to MF PIP punch in to check critical focus. I have the same thing on my CL with the TTartisans 25mm f2, focus peaking works ok but I have to press a button to engage the 3x or 6x zoom in for checking critical focus. Whereas on the sigma 45mm the 3x punch in is automatic due to the electronic communication from the lens.

I don’t think MF assist in the form of automatic PIP punch in, or the on screen distance scales work with this lens. It has no electronic contacts to know when you’re turning the ring or what distance the focus is at. I think you will have to bind a button to MF PIP punch in to check critical focus. I have the same thing on my CL with the TTartisans 25mm f2, focus peaking works ok but I have to press a button to engage the 3x or 6x zoom in for checking critical focus. Whereas on the sigma 45mm the 3x punch in is automatic due to the electronic communication from the lens.
Yes, I didn't know that earlier. MF assist is pre-programmed on the S9 for the left button around the back control wheel. I didn't know that when I rushed out to take pictures. In the mean time I figured it out and have been taking in-focus pictures around the house. Sadly the lens does have electronic contacts, but doesn't have whatever is needed to trigger MF assist.

Yes, I didn't know that earlier. MF assist is pre-programmed on the S9 for the left button around the back control wheel. I didn't know that when I rushed out to take pictures. In the mean time I figured it out and have been taking in-focus pictures around the house. Sadly the lens does have electronic contacts, but doesn't have whatever is needed to trigger MF assist.
That’s odd, does it have the same amount of contacts as on the body? I’d heard there was just no electronic communication at all. Maybe if the pins are there it can get firmware updates?

That’s odd, does it have the same amount of contacts as on the body? I’d heard there was just no electronic communication at all. Maybe if the pins are there it can get firmware updates?
The pins communicate and tell the camera what kind of lens it is, but don't communicate focus information.

Back