L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Inexpensive flash for my S5iiX: Godox iT30 Pro

PJD

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 11, 2024
Messages
620
Wanting to experiment with flash photography "again" (I haven't used an add-on flash in about 50 years), I recently purchased a Godox iT30 Pro "O". This is 99% for non-professional use. I also purchased the Godox TR "O" tiltable riser. The pix of my cam & the flash are (ugly) iPhone snapshots. One of my favorite features of the flash is its internal battery which is rechargeable via USB-C.

Of course, after I received it, I made the mistake of doing a bit of additional research :), and in hindsight I might be happier with its slightly more expensive sibling, the Godox iT32 "O". But I'll keep the iT30 Pro. I'll learn a lot by playing around with it.

The test photo of the bookshelves was shot as a 24MP RAW, with a 8"x10" white card held in front of the flash at about 45 degrees, so the light bounced off a wall about 8-ft to the camera's right. In post I only did a tiny white balance adjustment (using the white remote control in the scene as the WB target). Not shown is the next exposure I snapped, when I turned the flash OFF; as a result the frame was completely black. IOW, the flash did all the heavy lifting.
pjd_260615-img_9300-godox-it30pro-flash-s5iix.jpg


pjd_260615-img_9301-godox-it30pro-flash-s5iix-cage-ssd.jpg


pjd_260616-p1013266-flash-bounce-right_h.jpg
 
As above, I used the white bounce card in front of the flash so the light bounced off of the wall about 4-ft to the right. And again, at these same camera settings, when I turned OFF the flash the capture was black.

Obviously I could've shot this without using the flash ... at higher ISO, longer exposure, larger aperture, etc. But here I'm just figuring out how to use the flash. It's been a while. Note: The bookshelf and the cat photos were snapped with the flash unit in TTL mode, and the camera in manual exposure mode, with auto-focus (animal eye). Fun.
pjd_260616-p1013271-martha-cat-godox-it30pro-flash-bounced-to-right_h.jpg
 
I have the it30 pro for Fuji. I think it’s a great little unit! Especially with that tilting riser, since I’m personally not a fan of the direct flash look. I love that it doubles as a wireless controller for other Godox units, it’s an added bonus if you do off camera flash.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PJD
I have seen a number of very small, quite cheap flashes lately and many have a tilt feature, which would be necessary for bounce flash, so they're of interest. I used to use bounce flash a lot back when I used a Pentax K200D which only went to ISO 1600 and was noisy after ISO 400. I don't think I've ever mounted a flash on my S5 in the four years I've had it, but there have been situations where one would have been nice but it would have to be small and be able to tilt, or I would never take it with me.

Any idea if the riser would work with a basic vintage flash that just fires using the central pin?

And is there a summary somewhere of the differences between the 30 and the 32?
 
I have seen a number of very small, quite cheap flashes lately and many have a tilt feature, which would be necessary for bounce flash, so they're of interest. I used to use bounce flash a lot back when I used a Pentax K200D which only went to ISO 1600 and was noisy after ISO 400. I don't think I've ever mounted a flash on my S5 in the four years I've had it, but there have been situations where one would have been nice but it would have to be small and be able to tilt, or I would never take it with me.

Any idea if the riser would work with a basic vintage flash that just fires using the central pin?

And is there a summary somewhere of the differences between the 30 and the 32?
I don't know if the Godox TR riser works with other flash units, regrets.

As for a comparison between the iT30Pro and iT32 flashes, there are additional details on the Godox and B&H websites. I used the specs info on B&H's website to make the attached PDF comparing the two models. Cheers.
 

Attachments

Just an FYI: This is probably old news for experienced flash photographers, but I've recently learned one of the advantages of the newer Godox iT32 vs. the previous iT30Pro (the latter is the one I have), is the iT32's small, built-in white reflector. Various other flash units also include this feature.

When bouncing the flash off a ceiling, wall, etc. (by aiming the flash head towards one of those surfaces), the small reflector bounces a tiny amount of light directly at the subject. So, for example, if the subject is a person, there'll be a small glint of light in their eyes, and a bit of fill-light in the shadows.

I've taped a small piece of white card to my iT30Pro as a reflector. But a durable, adjustable, built-in reflector (as with the iT32) is a better solution. Pending further testing I may trim the card slightly so the less light is reflected. TBD. Cheers.
pjd_260706-9460-godox-it30pro-flash-reflector-s5iix_h.jpg
 
Last edited:
A test shot. Flash was pointing up at the ceiling, and the small white card taped on the flash unit reflected light towards the subject. Result was slightly underexposed at these settings, so in future I'd adjust the camera or flash accordingly. Animal-eye continuous AF.
pjd_260708-p1003459-martha-cat-in-window_h.jpg
 
Just to give my amateur perspective. I bought an iT32 literally as it’s the cheapest one they had as we were photographing a darkness into light event (in Ireland, once a year people walk early in the morning when it’s dark until it becomes bright as a way to raise money for charity for people who are suicidal)

I don’t use the flash much but my god is it one of the best purchases I ever made. Internal battery, uses a trigger you mount on the hot shoe and can put the flash on it, or take it off and put it anywhere and it’ll flash when you hit the shutter no matter where you place it. Also the trigger can be got for basically any camera brand for €20, so it works with every camera provided you’ve the trigger. Comes with a fold out card, diffuser, 2 magnetic filters, and you can buy a whole host of magnetic filters to attach to it.

It really is an amazing flash and it cost me €89, plus the trigger is €20. It’s so versatile and easy to use. And is so cheap for what you get
 
Back
Top